Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Viewers or Web Page Creators

Old May 24, 2010, 5:26 AM   #1

Default My website is online :)

I've been working on my brand new website the last few weeks - and finally it's done.... you can find the page here.

I'd love to read your opinion about my page - I used Wordpress with the Monolit template. It's a photoblog/portfolio mixture

BTW, I didn't know where to post this, so @Mark/Jim/..., please feel free to move this thread if it don't belong here!

PS.: There's just one image online by now... more coming soon

2 x EOS 6D | 24/1.4 ART | 35/1.4 ART | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 135/2L
maggo85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 24, 2010, 6:22 AM   #2

EDIT NOTE: This thread was originally posted in "Photo Critique" prior to being noved. Thus, my reply is of a constructive critiquing nature as originally requested.

Appears to need some work in several areas.

1. The photo referenced above and on the web site doesn't show. I'm using IE8 and haven't checked it with other browsers.

2. Before publishing as site, Wordpress/YAPB labels the middle action "Pimp Your Site". I would interpret this to mean - take a look at it critically, and perhaps this thread will help. What is your vision for the site? Is the menu at the top serving you well? What pages (other menu items) do you envision to organize the structure?

3. A good beginning but obviously a work in progress. In addition to resolving that missing photo, perhaps find groups of photos to publish, organize by groups - plants, animals, people or whatever categories. For a combined group, may want to label it "My Latest" and through general maintenance archive them to the more specific group as you add more 'latest' photos.

Just a suggestion, but that is the beauty of the web. Everybody has their own ideas.

Last edited by tizeye; May 24, 2010 at 7:41 AM.
tizeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2010, 8:44 AM   #3
Super Moderator

I really like the layout. the classic black and white looks really nice.

i kind of agree with Tizeye, there needs to be some categorical arrangement. There could be a "My Latest" or "new" whatever. And I am not sure i would go with archive, maybe instead of archive you could just put portfolio or something and arrange them by category.
Old May 24, 2010, 11:45 AM   #4

A proto web site. Not too much to comment. Needs some work.
Mai = May?
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2010, 12:52 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
I really like the layout. the classic black and white looks really nice.

i kind of agree with Tizeye, ... And I am not sure i would go with archive, maybe instead of archive you could just put portfolio or something and arrange them by category.
That is what I meant. Don't use the word "archive", but as the site grows look at how you arrange it so not overwhelming. Bring and keep forward those that you want others to view first, then organize into category portfolioes the older ones.

Really like your narrative on what you were thinking as you took the shot.
tizeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2010, 1:36 AM   #6

First of all I want to thank you guys for viewing my first version and giving me a lot of good advices (and showing me problems, of course)

Tizeye.....

1. I resolved the IE problem with not showing the image - I deletet the automatic image resizing function and forgot to give the picture a fixed size... now it works without any problems at least at IE 7 here at my office.

2. The menu items are almost fine... latest/new/recent should be my newest shot, just the way it is now. about/contact I really want to have, maybe I could remove rss.

3. Now coming to the "archive"... finally I want this to be something like a portfolio ordered by categories (kinda like on my flickr page) and call the menu item "portfolio". When I have the time, I'll upload a few more images and work on this point

Old May 25, 2010, 4:38 AM   #7

- Renamed "latest" to "home"... maybe I should use "new"?

- Changed "archives" to "portfolio"... all photos are in one category displayed as thumbnails without any text. Gotta play around with that to get the category-ordered portfolio running

Old May 27, 2010, 12:39 AM   #8

UPDATE: I've got to versions online now, because the theme I originally wanted to go with is working now

So I can't decide with one I like more.... what do you people think??

Here you can find the first version, here is the second one.

Old May 27, 2010, 3:17 AM   #9

I like the layout of the top part but the description and links to extra photos are off the bottom of the screen on my PC even at 1680x1050 which requires annoying scrolling. The sides of the screen are not used though so how about putting thumbnails there for easier navigation. My old website which just had some family shots did this to show you what I mean: http://www.martinandanna.talktalk.ne...AlbumBody.html (the layout is horrible but it's the idea that's important). You could also start with a 'gallery' view of thumbnails which the visotor could click to popup the main photo. You could also use simple transitions to good effect which are quite eye-catching : http://www.martinandanna.talktalk.net/garden.html (takes a few seconds to get going but then pictures at top change every few seconds)

I'd be wary of letting the public (or competition) post unmoderated comments on your page.

I'm not a big fan of the few photos you've chosen at the moment - I had a look through some others you've posted and I much prefer your wildlife shots - for example from:

Our first bird shots
Spring Is Here!
Europe's "Highest" Zoo

Last edited by MartinSykes; May 27, 2010 at 3:20 AM.
MartinSykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2010, 4:01 AM   #10

Thank you for taking a look Martin - what do you think about the second version?

I thought about a sidebar with preview images... maybe I'll try that out. Disabled comments now.

These are just random shots to try out the layout and see if everything works fine - if I made my final decision, I'll upload more shots, including those you have mentioned!

So, I'd love to hear your opinion on my second version