Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Viewers or Web Page Creators

Old Aug 3, 2011, 10:47 PM   #1

Default Another Photo Mgmt Software question

I know this sort of question has been asked before, but at different times. Since things change, I wanted to get a current take.

Question: I'm looking for a < $100 photo management program

• previously I've used picasa and like the viewer, but i'm tired of the domineering aspect of the program and the bloat. Domineering meaning I can't seem to make it only monitor within a certain directory - it wants to scour the whole hard drive. The bloat is that it stores a lot of app data on the C drive without letting me set a different directory.
  • I have PSE 7, so I feel that I'm covered on any actual editing, I just don't like PSE 7's management aspects. If you love managing with PSE, please tell me what you like, I may be missing something(s).
  • I've heard good things about PaintShop Photo Pro, and ACDSee.
  • I generally organize my photos manually first under a year folder then a dated folder generated by the camera. I then like to speedily flip through all the pics with a nice viewer and delete garbage, and possibly tag a rating or keyword to the pic.
Any thoughts based on the above?

Thanks

Last edited by pwithem; Aug 3, 2011 at 10:52 PM. Reason: other thoughts
pwithem is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 4, 2011, 12:14 AM   #2

I used ACDSee, years ago, and I didn't like it. I have tried Picasa and I didn't like it either. I have Photoshop 6 and it seems adequate. Though, being on this forum and seeing the amazing things that other people are doing, I find that I'm feeling some editing software envy.

I think the problem that I have with a lot of programs is that they store my photos on the web (or is it now called "in the cloud"?) I want my photos to reside on my computer. I don't want them to automatically be uploaded to another location.
JeannieBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2011, 8:04 AM   #3

PhotoShop Elements 9 has a great manager, if you like that sort of stuff. And so many improvements over 6 or 7, it would be difficult to mention.
"A true photograph need not be explained, nor can it be contained in words".
Steve40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2011, 8:27 AM   #4
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwithem View Post
...previously I've used picasa and like the viewer, but i'm tired of the domineering aspect of the program and the bloat. Domineering meaning I can't seem to make it only monitor within a certain directory - it wants to scour the whole hard drive. The bloat is that it stores a lot of app data on the C drive without letting me set a different directory.
Look closer. You can set Picasa so that it only monitors desired folders (or monitors nothing at all if you prefer).

Go to Tools>Folder Manager to change the folders it monitors.

Picasa gives you 3 choices (check boxes) when you highlight a folder in the displayed folder tree.

By default, all folders are set to "Monitor Always" (meaning it watches for any changes to the folder and updates the images shown in Picasa's albums).

Another option you can set for any desired folders is Scan Once (meaning it scans the checked folder for images and adds any images found to Picasa's albums; but it doesn't update the albums later if any images are added, changed or removed). IOW, those folders are not monitored for changes after the first scan.

The third choice you have for any folder is a red X labeled "Remove from Picasa" (meaning that images in the folders checked that way are not displayed in Picasa at all).

Simply check all top level folders as Remove from Picasa, then expand the folder trees and mark the other folders as desired (leave Removed from Picasa, Scan Once, or Scan Always).

It's behavior is highly configurable for the folders it monitors (or doesn't monitor) for changes.

Again, you can configure this behavior by going to Tools>Folder Options.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2011, 9:27 PM   #5

Jim, I had remembered in the past the settings you're referring to, but the last time I reinstalled I couldn't find it. Picasa had gone on to scan everything, and once having done that, the only way to cull the huge list of trivial folders was to manually select each one and remove it. There must be an easier way, but I was at the point where I didn't want the program to manage me anymore.

This evening I just installed a trial of ACDSee and I think it's a win. I can navigate with my existing folder tree, toggle through photos, zoom in, and do one click deletes! PSE7 wants to delete it from the "catalog" and asks if you also want to delete from the drive. I'm not crazy about the $70 pricetag, but so far ACDSee is a breath of fresh air.
pwithem is offline   Reply With Quote