Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Viewers or Web Page Creators

Old Feb 21, 2013, 3:19 AM   #1

Default Photos of paperwork. Front and back sides. Want software to collate.

I want to create a list of photos where the next photo will be either the next page or the back of the page you just saw. They won't be printed.
It's a backup archive for paperwork.

It doesn't make sense to turn over each sheet and shoot it.
That's just not reliable enough. You'll see below.

I'm going to use an intervalometer software CHDK (look it up for Canon Cameras). The camera will shoot a shot every few seconds.
Long enough to put a new piece of paperwork in place.

It's easy to reliably place another piece of paper but it's not as
simple to reliably turn over every piece of paper of varying sizes in
the time allotted. Increasing the time might work but .. I've already tried
both ways and putting down a new sheet (of varying sizes) works reliably.
Turning over a sheet and placing it properly isn't easy to do reliably.
Remember that the process is on a timer to keep it going.

I want to interleave two sets of photos. If you understand the why maybe it's easier to think of something. Another word used might be 'collate'. Searching for software turned up little. I don't program.
I can work with batch files and DOS a little.

I want to photograph front and back sides of paperwork.
Each new image should be the next sheet or the backside of the previous shot.

Another word for interleave might be collate.

Andre Ferchau

Reasons to do it the way proposed
1. My experience with CHDK's intervalometer is limited. To start and stop the software might cause loss of registration of the image/camera position

Last edited by AndreLikesPhotos; Feb 21, 2013 at 3:20 AM. Reason: add email notification
AndreLikesPhotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 26, 2013, 9:07 PM   #2

Might I suggest an alternative method? If I understand correctly, this will be something similar to ordering pages of a book. If you start with the sheets stacked, and remove them one by one, you can get all the odd numbered pages in sequence. Then, if you have turned them over an re-stacked the papers, you can go through the process again for the even numbered sheets. Store the sequences in separate folders.
Now, using a batch file with something like Irfanview, increment the file numbers of the first batch starting with (xxx)001, and the second batch starting with (xxx)002, and place them all in the same folder.

brian
VTphotog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2013, 11:02 PM   #3

Brian that's a fine idea.. I may have mentioned that I didn't know much about programming.

That would work very well.

Now out there is someone who knows how to write the batch file to rename and number files incrementally

I barely know DOS batch files .. I can recognize what something is in DOS batch files.

The batch has to take the files, in order, and rename them incrementally but with odd numbers for one folder and even numbers for the other folder.

Brian you've got the logic right. Now we need someone who knows how to do either or both of the two bits.

Or maybe I'm over thinking this.
The camera's going to name the files incrementally. So files 1 through 100 will be the odd numbered pages starting with number '1'.
Then files 101 through 200 will be the odd numbered pages begining with number '2'.

If you're reading this and have got a different idea or one which can renumber files or like I say I'm over thinking this.. Speak up.

Thanks,
Andre
PS. Good job Brian

The searches I did were too technical for me to follow. This is a one time event so learning an entire new method is .. time consuming.
Here's a link that talks about it.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/foru...ng-dos-script/
Someone mentiones using a scripting language rather than DOS.
AndreLikesPhotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 9:47 AM   #4

Andre;
I haven't written a DOS batch file in quite a number of years, and would probably not be able to remember how to begin. What I was referring to was using Irfanview to do the process. Under the File menu, there is a submenu for batch conversions. If you choose the 'Batch Rename' setting, and a destination folder, with the file numbering that you mentioned, you are done.
It almost seems too simple. You just have to have Irfanview.

brian

Edit: I was explaining this to my wife, and she said it sounded too complicated for her. Her suggestion was to to use a network connected copy machine and save to a file. The copier auto - collates, so the pages come out in the correct order. Apparently Staples stores can do this. D'oh.

Last edited by VTphotog; Feb 27, 2013 at 9:53 AM.
VTphotog is online now   Reply With Quote