Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Viewers or Web Page Creators

Old Mar 14, 2005, 10:49 AM   #11

File ---> Export

then select the codec you want. I really don't know what codecs windows media player is compatible with, but I think I can safely assume that mpeg-1 is one of them. You will need to play with it and see how different bitrates and quality levels look. You may want to see the movie properties by hitting ctrl-j so that you know what the framerate and bitrate of the current movie are.
memento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2005, 12:29 PM   #12

I tried file export.......the options include mpeg-4 which I can't play on my windows media player. Another option was avi. I used that one which was fine and it played in Windows Media. The only problem is I wanted to email this file and it winds up at 36MB. My email server wont allow me to send it out. Any suggestions as to how I can convert this file and not make it so large? It is only a 4 minute movie with a song. I tried compressing it. Didn't do much. Any help is appreciated.
mpal22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2005, 12:58 PM   #13

It's so large because the bitrate (and/or quality) is too high. Also make sure you match the framerate. If your camera records at 15 frames/sec and you make a 30 fps movie, all else being equal, it will be twice the file size.

Hit ctrl-j and post the info here. Size, bitrate, fps.
Old Mar 14, 2005, 5:02 PM   #14

I am sorry to keep bothering you with this and it is clear that I am not very knowledgeable about this stuff. I have no clue what you meant in your last post. When I looked at the movie properties it gave me other information but I didn't see fps or even bitrate. Maybe if I tell you what I am doing from the start you can help me.

I am using an Olympus C-50 Digital Camera which has the ability to take 16 seconds of footage. Then I load that into my computer and it comes up as a MOV file which can be viewed on Quicktime. Well, I took about 15 of those short movies and I wanted to combine them into one movie and add a song. I have Windows Movie Maker 2 and thought I could do it there. Unfortunately, since they are MOV files, Movie Maker (and Media Player) wont play them. So my first thought was if I could convert the files to something those programs would read.

You had posted that Quicktime Pro would do the conversion. So I purchased the upgrade. There are a few conversions that you can do but the only ones I recognized were AVI (which i know plays on Media Player) and MPEG-4 which doesn't play on my Media Player (I don't know why or even what MPEG-4 is).

When I create the movie (which has 15 mini movies plus the song) as a MOV file it has a size of 30.6 KB. This makes no sense to me since each mini movie has a size of about slightly more than 3 MB. Regardless, it plays well and is exactly what I want. However, I want to email it to people and they can only view it in Media Player. Since it wont work in this format, when I export this movie to AVI format, it becomes about 36MB and I can not email it.

I am so sorry for this long post, but I was hoping that starting from the beginning would better able you to help me (if you still want to). So if you do, please tell me what you think I should do.
Old Mar 15, 2005, 6:22 AM   #15

No need to apologize. We'll get you through this. You have the right tool - Quicktime.

If you hit ctrl-i, not ctrl-j you can see the info. my mistake. bitrate is the same as datarate. The datarate is listed in KB/s (kilobytes per second), which needs to be multiplied by 8 to get Kb/s (kilobits per second).

In Quicktime, you can combime all these mini movies into 1, which sounds like what you did.

The reason the file is only 30.6kb in quicktime is because QT links the files together, depending on how you combined them. This can be confusing but it can save huge amounts of disk space when working with large files (GB size movies).

So it seems like you're ALMOST there. The only problem is that the final file size is too big. Think of it this way. When you combine a bunch of files together, then the resulting movie size should be the same as if you added each individual file size. For example, you combine 5 files that are 7MB each into 1 quicktime movie and export it. The final file size could very well be 5x7MB or 35MB. Make sense?

Old Mar 15, 2005, 8:24 AM   #16

OK. Now I hit Ctrl i and got the information for the AVI movie I exported. Here it is:

Format: Cinepak, 320x240 Millions 16-bit Little Endian, Mono, 22.05 kHz, 16 bits

Movie FPS: 15

Playing FPS: Available when playing

Data Size: 36.7 MB

Data Rate: 146.9K bytes/sec (which is 2775.2 kilobits/sec)

Duration: 00:04:16:03

Normal Size: 320x240 pixels

Current Size: 320x240 pixels

Will this help us? What do I do now?
Old Mar 15, 2005, 11:32 AM   #17

how does the movie fps and the data rate compare to one of your mini files?

I would also seriously suggest installing this:

http://www.3ivx.com/download/windows.html

It is a free mpeg-4 codec for both quicktime and WMP. You can then select to export AVI from quicktime, then choose 3ivx encoding rather than cinepak. This will allow for smaller final file size.
Old Mar 15, 2005, 12:12 PM   #18

The FPS is the same, 15. The Data rate is larger at 202.4K bytes/sec compared to the 146.9 K bytes/sec in the AVI movie.
Old Mar 15, 2005, 1:03 PM   #19

I downloaded the 3ivx, but when I export the movie to AVI, I don't know how to choose 3ivx encoding rather than cinepak. When I click on export, I get a menu that asks me to save file as. In the area where it says export I click on AVI. Near that is a button called options. When I click on that I see a menu called AVI setting and this allows me to change settings for video and sound. In the video settings I see the cinepak setting but I don't see 3ivx. What do you think?
Old Mar 15, 2005, 1:55 PM   #20

According to their webpage, the installer includes "3ivx QuickTime MPEG-4 Video codec".

I did a search on the 3ivx website and found this response to the same question.

"it is in the list of codecs available under "Movie to QuickTime Movie" in the export dialog."