Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Viewers or Web Page Creators

Old Mar 15, 2005, 8:06 PM   #21

I am lost. After I downloaded that file, I don't see how it has anything to do with Quicktime. I think I am in way over my head. What do you think I should do? Maybe I could email you the MOV file (this is the complete movie and song) and you can try to convert it and if you are successful, you could tell me what you did?

Of course the reason why I need to convert it in the first place is because when I email this MOV file to my parents, they are not able to open it in any program which is very strange. Even more strange is that I burned it to a CD and on my computer it shows up as a quicktime file. When I take the CD to my parents house and put in in their computer the file has aWindows Media icon. And it wont play. Let me know if you want to try playing with it or any other suggestions you may have.
mpal22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2005, 12:44 PM   #22

I can convert it for you, and it would be easy for me to do, BUT I'd be doing it on my mac since I don't have a QT pro serial number purchased for windows. The problem there is that I don't know if QT for mac is identical to QT for windows. Plus it would probably be good for you to learn since your camera uses .mov format.

The file you downloaded is related to quicktime in that it is a video codec that is quicktime compatible as well as WMP compatible. It is supposed to install for both QT and WMP so that you can use either. Did you install it and try my previous post?
memento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2005, 2:50 PM   #23

I forgot you have a mac. I have windows and I remember that the quicktime pro was specific for either mac or windows. OK so where do we go from here. There are things I am very confused about. I don't think the download you suggested worked. When I clicked onto the 3ivx icon, there are 6 options in the menu on the left. The last one is D4 video encoder. When I click on it the screen splits and I can only see a quarter of the 3ivx converter. The read me file doesn't work so I dont think this way will work. Can we try something else?

I still dont understand how each of my small movies are 3 MB but when I make a Quicktime movie it is only 30.6 KB. MB is so much more than KB so how could 15 mini movies and a song attached be only 30 KB. Of course then when I convert it to AVI it becomes 37 MB. Regardless, lets see if we can get my AVI conversion to be smaller than 37 MB. Hope you can help me.

By the way, my name is Mike and I appreciate all the help you are giving me.
Old Mar 17, 2005, 6:09 AM   #24

no need to click on the 3ivx icon - that's how to configure the export. We can think about that when we get to the export. Same with the 30.6kb. That's not relevant.

Did you go to File --> Export since installing 3ivx?

Did you see a selection there for "Movie to QuickTime Movie"?
Old Mar 17, 2005, 6:58 AM   #25

Yes I see that option
Old Mar 17, 2005, 8:06 AM   #26

select that and then choose "options". You should see a list of items, including cinepak and 3ivx now. Choose 3ivx.

Now you have selected 3ivx as the codec.
Old Mar 17, 2005, 9:06 AM   #27

ok, i did that but now the movie has a size of 41.6 MB. This is even bigger than the other file.
Old Mar 17, 2005, 9:29 AM   #28

We'll worry about that later - that's fine tuning it. First let's get it so that you can see it in WMP. Can you now?
Old Mar 17, 2005, 10:17 AM   #29

ok, i can play it in WMP, but the sound will not play. Don't understand why?
Old Mar 17, 2005, 10:25 AM   #30

wait, i tried something. i clicked on sound settings when exporting (a second time) and noticed the compressor was set to none. So i changed it to mpeg-4 audio. It now works in WMP Sound and all. The final problem seems to be the size. What should i do?