Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Viewers or Web Page Creators

Old Mar 17, 2005, 11:52 AM   #31

Noiw let's trim the datarate. Your original files had a datarate of 202KB/s. In the 3ivx configurator (which you have previously ran), you can select the video encoder and see the settings. This is where you start to play around with different setting to balance quality and file size to meet what you think is ok. Crank the average bitrate down to 100KB/sec and see if it still looks ok to you when you export from quicktime again.
memento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2005, 12:17 PM   #32

I am having a problem. First, when I click onto export, then settings, and finally options I get to the 3ivx screen. Then I see where I can lower the Minimum/Maximum quality. However, it is in percentages not average bitrate. The scale is currently at higher quality with a reading of QT 2 which shows 100%. I can move that down but the problem is this screen is larger than my computer screen and I can minimize it. So after I change the setting, I can't see the bottom of the screen to hit an OK button or an Apply button and I cant get off this screen. Then the screen freezes. What do you think?
mpal22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2005, 1:22 PM   #33

So I guess you're running your screen at 640x480

slide the quality slider to the left some. Maybe to 80%. Then hit enter. It will take that as hitting "ok".
Old Mar 17, 2005, 2:11 PM   #34

It worked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was able to convert it and send it. Now the real test will be whether my parents can open it and view it. I don't see why they wouldnt be able to but the way this has gone I wont hold my breath.

A question for you. How come they werent able to view my unconverted MOV file that is only 30 KB. I view it here on Quicktime with no trouble. They have Quicktime also. As a matter of fact, we both upgraded to Quicktime Pro. When the file gets to them it appears as a Windows Media File and they cant open it there because it hasnt been converted. I tried to open the file in Quicktime but it doesnt allow me to. Any thoughts?

I will let you know if they were able to open the converted one. That test comes tonight!

Thank you sooooooooooo much for all you're help. You were very patient with me and I really appreciate it.
Old Mar 17, 2005, 2:41 PM   #35

They may need to install 3ivx in order to see it. If they can't then that's the first thing I'd try, plus it's a free download anyway.

For the 30kb file, think of it like this. On windows you have shortcuts. If you right click on it and get properties, under the general tab you will see a size of like 2kb. It's just a pointer to the actual file or program, regardless of the size of the original. If you delete the original file, the shortcut won't work anymore. With your QT file that's 30kb, it's the same concept. If you delete the original mini movies, the QT file no longer has the originals to point to, and it won't work anymore.

I have no idea why it would appear as a WMP file to them. Windows bases their file associations on the file extension. .MOV should always be Quicktime. They may have a file association problem on their machine.

And you're welcome. Many people don't realize how powerful the $30 QT Pro actually is, it's a very modest looking piece of software.
Old Mar 17, 2005, 10:08 PM   #36

Well, mission accomplished. I downloaded 3ivx onto their computer and the file played.

Thanks again for all of your help.

You mentioned that people don't realize how powerful the quicktime pro is. Is their any manual or literature I could read to utilize more of its features? I know they have the online help menu but it is very basic and the information about setting up slideshows didnt seem to work.
Old Mar 18, 2005, 6:55 AM   #37

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/tools_tips/

more info than you may want, but there's a nice pdf at the bottom right of the page.
Old Jan 15, 2006, 9:27 AM   #38

Hi,

an internet search brought me to this useful forum, where I found a solution for my similar problem.

I downloaded the mov2avi + the mov2avigui, and succesfully converted some MOVs.

But, when playing these avi's in WMP, there is no sound, and the warning appears that I should download the 3F3F codec from the net in order to hear something.

Any idea where I can find that codec?

All help is welcome.
pal4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2006, 2:29 PM   #39

thanks alot man for this software
knabil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2006, 11:41 PM   #40

For Windows, I like RAD Video Tools available free from http://www.radgametools.com/bnkdown.htm It's freeware and converts many video types to and from each other.
Gardenwife is offline   Reply With Quote