Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Viewers or Web Page Creators

Old Sep 3, 2002, 3:54 PM   #1

Default .mov to .mpeg converters!?? i need one

where can i find one if there is anything that can do it, i've seen avi to mpeg ones, but my video is .mov format. i'd do a 2 step and go from .mov to .avi to .mpeg but i was wondering if i could do that? ne help?
brado997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 3, 2002, 4:10 PM   #2

might find it here.
Gary

http://www.cnet.com/software/search/...ml?tag=stbc.gp
Gary Senkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2002, 9:45 AM   #3

You didn't say weather you were on a Mac or a PC. The following programs are PC and freeware.

Try TMPGEnc which is available at TMPGEnc.net. You will need QTReader.vfp which is available at www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/4942/svcd.html. I found this info at www.vcdhelp.com/tmpgenc.htm (VCDHelp is a very good site).

TMPGEnc has a lot of options, so I highly recommend familiarizing yourself on the options. www.vcdhelp.com/tmpgenc.htm is a good start.

Keep in mind that this site uses the term VCD to represent a certain kind of MPEG designed for DVD players. If you are just wanting to convert a MOV from a digital camera and show it on a computer, don't use the templates which will change the frame rate and image size.

If you need to rotate or filter the resulting MPEG, use Virtualdub available at Virtualdub.org. You can "frameserve" the two programs together to get better results, but I haven't tried that yet.

I hope this helps.
jhwang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2003, 8:39 PM   #4

I recommend TMPGEnc as well, I've been using it for a couple of years now to convert .mov files to .mpg files
Gimli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2003, 5:19 AM   #5

I always convert mine into .avi just because that is such an easy process and then save my enitre movie at whatever format I want after editing it in my video editing package. (My video editor won't accept .mov files, but it does accept .avi files you see)

http://www.divx-digest.com/software/mov2avi.html

This is just a 42KB download and runs from the command line. Just copy the program into the directory that your videos are in, then from the command line, type in "mov2avi <filename>" and that should do it.

I then edit/compile/add sountracks & titles to videos in Windows Movie Maker 2 before saving them as .wmv files which is has good compression and is viewable by everyone I personally share my videos with.
Eddie J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2004, 1:06 AM   #6

Hi,

Maybe you can try the software named WinAVI Video Converter http://www.winavi.com/video-converter.htm . In fact, it is a complete solution for video file converting and burning. It can convertmov tompeg in15 minutes with stunning video quality.
zjmedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2004, 12:35 PM   #7

Do I really need the QTReader file? It's no longer available on the URL you posted. Is there an alternative download source? Thanks a lot.
bobi_gee96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2004, 1:22 PM   #8

I suggest you get the mov2avi download as mentioned above and then download this GUI that makes it really easy to convert your files. You can download this at:

http://guiguy.wminds.com/downloads/mov2avigui/

Good luck!

waits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2005, 2:56 PM   #9

a point worth mentioning is that it's not good to save from one format to another, let alone with another still in between. Every time you convert, you degrade the quality. These are lossy compression formats. So do it if you have to, but don't add another format in between.

Quicktime Pro ($30) will do the conversion. .mov is QT format to begin with.
memento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2005, 7:38 PM   #10

I purchased Pro and I dont know how you convert the .mov files so they can be viewed on Windows Media player. Can you help?
mpal22 is offline   Reply With Quote