Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Viewers or Web Page Creators

Old Aug 31, 2004, 10:38 AM   #1

I have used IrfanView 3.17 in the past on CD's that I've placed image folders on to distribute to friends and family because that version can run entirely from the CD without installation, and because it can run thumbnails of a specified folder using a menu generated by the freeware program CD Starter, following a CD autorun. In the past, running on my Windows 98SE machine, it worked great.

I've migrated to a new WinXP machine, and seem to be having problems with IrfanView not being able to read the images in the folders when invoked by the button command. However, after launching IrfanView manually, I can open and dispaly the images and thumbnails with no problem.

When invokved by the button command "file=i_view32.exe Amy /thumbs" for the folder "Amy" I get the error message "Can't read file header ! Unsupported file type !" for a normal PNG file, which as mentioned above, opens fine manually. If I click OK to close the error message box, IrfanView opens with a blank display, then opens the thumbnail window and displays thumbnails of all displayable files in the root folder of the CD in stead of the designated folder.

Any suggestions as to the cause and the fix? I don't really know if it's an IrfanView problem, or perhaps a CDStarter problem.

I really like IrfanView much better than any other viewer I've tried, so would prefer to fix rather than switch if posible. But, if it's not going to be fixable, suggestions for alternatives with the same capability that can run uninstalled from the CD?

Thanks!
Optiker
Optiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 31, 2004, 3:03 PM   #2
Administrator

I'm not familiar with CD Starter. However, it sounds to me like theworking directory when Irfanview is being called, isnotthe root directory of the CD.So, iview_32.exe doesn't know where to look for the directory Amy. Of course, this doesn't explain why it then loads after you get rid of the error screen.

My guess is that you'll either need to specify a full path to it, for example:

iview_32 f:\amy /thumbs

Or (if the program is at least being run with the working directory on the CD somewhere else and if amy is off of the root):

iview_32.exe \amy /thumbs

You may also want to try a newer version of irfanview ( http://www.irfanview.com )

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2004, 4:26 PM   #3

Jim... Yes, that sounds like it could be the problem - the path statement that is. I'll try it when I get home tonight.

As for using a newer version of IrfanView, I try to keep updated on my machine, but use the old version because it doesn't need to be installed to the HD, but can run from the CD. In fact, I include the latest version on the CD with a button to install it to the HD if the person getting the CD wants it.

Thanks for the reply!
Optiker
Old Sep 1, 2004, 7:50 AM   #4

Jim...Yup, that did it. Working fine now, except that there appears to be a stability problem with the program that runs the menu for the CD when it autoruns. That's another problem and seems to be due to running on XP. But, it takes care of the IrfanView problem.

Thanks!
Optiker