Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Viewers or Web Page Creators

Old Nov 8, 2004, 10:23 AM   #1

Howdy Gang,

I have 20,000 plus images that need to be organized. I am afraid to use an app that has an external database since a crash can mean doing it all over again.

Is there a good image viewing application that can actually write searchable keywords right into each image's file? This would mean that the even with a problem that data is there...
jlfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 9, 2004, 2:23 AM   #2

You will find tons of apps that can write IPTC or EXIF keywords which are stored inside the image meta data.

But you need to be aware that writing EXIF data can destroy the makernotes which contain nowadays a lot of additional information. This is because a new EXIF comments shifts the makernote data and most of the time this data uses absolute references the info is gone. New Canon SLRs use relative addressing, so they should be safe.

One interesting app is Thumbs+ which manages to corrupt EXIF data even if you only edit IPTC, so be careful.

For myself I use the JPEG COM marker. Very safe and works for all images in JPEG format.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/digsoftware_viewers.htmlis an excellent overview of what you can use.
Jurgen Eidt is offline   Reply With Quote