Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Viewers or Web Page Creators

Old Jun 30, 2005, 7:42 AM   #1

I just ordered Photoshop CS2. Now I'd like to find a good program for organizing digital photos. I have read that Photoshop Album 2.0 doesn't work well with CS2. I have a hard time wanting to buy Elements 3.0 just for the organization component, and I've heard good things about ACDSee 7.0. Are there other programs I should be considering?

What would be your first choice for photo organizing software?
vjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 30, 2005, 9:53 AM   #2

IMatch is the Photoshop of organizing programs. It isn't as easy to learn as some others but it is very competent. For a long time it was the only program that would keep thumbnails and records of images recorded to CD or DVD and removed from the computer. The search is normal and it directs you to the right CD if the image has been removed. I read that one of the easier to use programs has added that feature as well, but I don't remember exactly which one.

I think this is the best freeware: http://perso.wanadoo.fr/myalbum/MyAlbum.html Look at some of the scripts available for it. You might also have a look at Picasa if you are looking for freeware.

After trying several I have stayed with my old system of using Irfanview thumbnails. It works well and is the least hassle to set up. If you are interested I will post particulars.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2005, 5:59 AM   #3

I have done much more reading on my original question. I never knew there were so many choices. Each of the main programs (Photoshop Album/Organizer, ACDSee, IMatch, etc.) seems to have their proponents, and none of the comparative reviews I could find picks a clear winner. I'll probably play with some of the free versions until I discover limitations I can't live with. I haven't seem IMatch mentioned nearly as much as the others, but popularity doesn't necessarily reflect quality.
vjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2005, 12:04 PM   #4

You just haven't tried the Ulead's PhotoExplorer - trial version at ulead.com

It's really an excellent piece of software.
nlp239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2005, 12:32 PM   #5

Try out my own photo album Virtual Photo Organizer. It is completely free (open source) and is really very easy to learn. Apart from simple titles you can also write long essays as a descritption for each photo. There are simple editing features such as resizing, cropping, red eye removal, brightness-adjustment, etc. All albums can of course be viewed in fullscreen slideshow mode or be exported to an HTML web gallery.
I would be very much interested in your opinion - comments, criticism, and feature requests are very welcome!
tommazzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2005, 6:02 AM   #6

Photoshop CS2 contains bridge (a program that can be used to build collections), it works but doesn't save thumbnails, and i don't see an easy way of making backups with it. Other problem is that i couldn't remove the existing group of keywords, (there in english and i'm more used to speaking dutch) and that the new created group's are put togethe in 1 group (other).

I've also got arcsoft photobase 4.5, nice program works faster than bridge, only the size of the thumbnails is to small for making selections. (came with my pan.fz5) The Collections works fine.

Picassa2 - freeware from google, works good, but it is much to easy to edit your pictures without realizing you've edited them. And i'm not the only one working with the pc --- ergo not a solution for me.

Just tested IMatch and that program looks great, it has a 30day test. The collections are easy to make. The offline thumpnails are great. (looks for me the winner)

(there is also photo organiser from collectorz.com but i haven't tried that one)
rhermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2006, 10:06 AM   #7

I am currently using iView Media Pro 3. You can get a free downloadable three-week trial version (do a Google search). I have only been using it for about a week and a half. It isn't the easiest to learn but I feel comfortable with it now. It's powerful. It costs about $199 to buy but you can get an educational discount of 50%, if you qualify.
101photo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2006, 1:29 PM   #8

Depending on what level of organizing you want to get into, you could try something simple like Picasa from Google. It's free and I think it is one of the fastest viewers/organizers I've used. It won't organize like iMatch or iView but it does well at keeping track of what you have.

Dave
headhunter66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2006, 4:13 PM   #9

Iview media pro ~= 200$
Imatch ~= 60$
Extensis Portfolio ~= 200$

I used to use Imatch before switching to portfolio for my DAM.
Imatch is very capable just did not have enough capabilities for what I needed.

I've been examining Iview media pro to see if it might work better but it is a lot of work to switch form one DAM to another.

Also Adobe Lightroom is comming, still only a Mac Beta for now but looks to show a lot of promise.

Peter
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2006, 7:37 PM   #10

Hi,
Idimager should be added to that list at $60
IviewPro with academic discount is $85

I think you can switch from Portfolio to Iview or similar if you write write Portfolio's keywords into the IPTC metadata, which Portfolio can do. I recall that Portfolio allows to map as desired DB fields to IPTC fields.

Those that want to get started on using IPTC/XMP metadata at no cost may want to try free Pixvue explorer plugin;
- it shows raw thumbnails and allows to edit iptc/xmp (no dng support yet)
- it allows metadata searches and CD cataloging (in its indexed Galleries)

jnrob is offline   Reply With Quote