Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Viewers or Web Page Creators

Old Nov 21, 2005, 11:45 PM   #21

Please, please help. I have tried everything listed regarding the Acquiring Images function on this board, and it still doesnt work. What to do? I have uninstalled everything then redownloaded it. It worked fine last week but I had to reinstall windows this week and now this doesnt work. Step by step suggestions would be great. Thanks.
jeffluke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2005, 9:22 AM   #22

Armani!!

You're the man! Installed the Canon Digital Camera Solution Disk, ver. 26.0 for my new A620 (Christmas Pressie to myself). Was very careful on the install--cleaned up all spyware, disk cleanup, defrag, closed all running processes, et al. ZoomBrowser EX 5.5 would work, but CameraWindow would not. Adobe, Windows Camera Wizard, and Arsoft PhotoStudio would aquire OK, however.

Deinstalled and reinstalled per the Canon Software Starter Guideprocedures. CameraWindow still wouldn't work.

Short of calling Canon, I 'Googled' here and there. I ran across your post here, applied what you suggested and, 'bada bing, bada boom'! CameraWindow works.

As someone else mentioned, Viper's XP Tweaks call for disabling some Services, which I did a year ago. Enabling the ones you pointed out did the trick.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

CMOS 12/13/2005
CMOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2005, 1:47 PM   #23

My situation is similar. About a week ago, I had a system crash that caused me to have to reinstall WinXP Pro, using the R option. Some things don't work exactly right but nothing serious -- until I tried to run ZoomBrowser.

Yesterday, I connected my Canon Digital Camcorder, Optura 300, using the Firewire cable as I always do. Windows could not find the camera and Zoombrowser also had no pictures to show me. So, I downloaded 5.5 figuring that would fix the problem. It did not.

Here is what I got (this is from memory): If I go to "Device Manager", I found there was a yellow question mark on "DV/C", telling me I needed to install the driver. I tried letting it find the driver but no success (and I haven't been able to find it either). After several attempts, reinstalling, disabling, etc., etc. I finally gave up on Firewire.

Using USB, I got similar results. However I was able to get it working by installing the driver manually. Using "Add Hardware", I chose the "Install hardware that I manually select from a list". From the displayed list, I picked "Image devices". Then I picked "Canon" and my camera. A driver was displayed and I clicked on it to install it. Now I can access my pictures on my camera using the USB port.

But I still get nothing with the Firewire.

If I plug in the Firewire cable, I see 2 "Canon DV Camcorder" entries under "Imaging devices" in the Device manager. I have deleted and then let it reconnect and I again get 2 entries. If I unplug the Firewire and plug USB back in, these emtries go away and have no indication that a camera is connected. Clicking on "Scanners & Camers" in the Control Panel also does not show any cameras. Yet it works with ZB!

Does anyone have any idea what is going on? Not a big problem as I can live without the Firewire connection (for the still pictures).

Leon

leonf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2005, 4:01 AM   #24

Whoops! I have been told that you can't download the still pictures from the camera using the Firewire cable.

Sorry.

leonf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2005, 2:06 AM   #25

Excellent thread. Unfortunately, it isn't quite enough to kick ZoomBrowser into activity for me yet. I've made all changes to the Services as mentioned in this thread. CameraWindow continues to be unstartable, and ZoomBrowser continues to be unable to find the camera.

Considering reinstalling the driver, but this shouldn't be necessary.

Only other thing that is pertinent (and perhaps it's quite pertinent) is that the last time ZoomBrowser worked it was the prior version and a different laptop. Now running a Toshiba Satellite after our Dell went to sleep with the fishes.

mtiemeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2005, 2:43 AM   #26

And now I have reinstalled the driver, with no effect. To summarize:

I have an updated version of ZoomBrowser
I have an updated version of the driver
All services mentioned in the thread here are available, running, and set to Automatic Update

I still cannot get CameraWindow to fire up or get ZoomBrowser to find the camera and acquire images. The computer recognizes the camera as a new device when I attach it and brings up the dialog asking for my choice of application to use. CameraWindow, as I mention, barely does enough to change my cursor for a brief moment before it dies a quick and quiet death.
Old Dec 24, 2005, 2:51 AM   #27

Odd, odd, odd. Now CameraWindow fires up, sees the camera, and is fine doing downloads. ZoomBrowser still doesn't know anything about the camera, though. Don't know what made the change.

Aren't you all fascinated with my blow-by-blow account of this epic struggle?
Old Dec 26, 2005, 12:41 PM   #28

Thanks for the help.

But this is really not cool on Canon's part.

To rely on UPNP to run their software is not a good idea.

UPNP is a performance hog and worse, a security hole.

There's a reason why it's disabled on all our PC's.

And I agree that having the software just fail to run with no indication as to why is another Canon blunder.
jpcarro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2005, 3:50 PM   #29

After fiddling about for hours I finally located this advice using google, and managed to get my updated software to work.

Best advice ever. Joined the forum as a result.

On zoombrowser as a whole: I'm not convinced on the ease of use, resources it consumes, security features, and a few other aspects. It could be improved with just a little more effort on the part of Canon. Canon really need to do a proper assessment of this software and get first rate developers involved to improve it. Poor software quality has a negative impact on the Canon brand.
marsupial tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2006, 7:05 PM   #30

I want to commend Armani for his most helpful suggestions on this A610 image download solution. I have a new A610 and could not get the software to work after two attempts at re-installation. Luckily, I found this site and the solution posted using Google as a search engine.

Thanks too to Steve for maintaining this site!
gene_in_SoCal is offline   Reply With Quote