Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Viewers or Web Page Creators

Old Oct 4, 2005, 11:11 AM   #1

I finally finished rebuilding my machine after a hard drive failure. I managed to recover all of my data, which is great, and I now have a new external hard drive to keep me more disciplined with back ups which is a good thing also.

Took me days to get things done, and in a way it probably is a good thing since now I have all the preinstalled Dell garbage off my system with a squeaky clean OS - deinitely running better.

So here is the warning...

While rebuilding, I checked Canon for updates and found a new version of Zoombrowser (ver 5.5 - 5.1 shiped with the camera...both are HUGE improvements over the first version I had with my S40).

A day or so after finishing, I noticed that every few seconds my pointer would change to a flashing hour glass for a fraction of a second. No big deal, but annoying and an indication of a problem. I thought at first it could be a virus or trojan. Ran all the virus checks and spyware scans and found nothing. Assumed my new virus software could be the problem, but it wasn't.

I noticed that when this occurred, a svchost process would jump from 5 to 20 percent. Tasklist showed this process was hosting lmhosts, remote registry, webclient, and SSDPSRV. Turns out I don't need (and should remove for security and performance reasons) remote registry and lmhosts (why would they turn on remote registry by default?!)

This left just SSDP and webclient, and I need webclient. SSDP is actually a UPNP service that I shouldn't need. Well, long story short, after unitstall and reinstall and troubleshooting, I discovered that Zoombrowser 5.5 requires the SSDP service to dowbload images from the camera using Canon Camerawindow (5.5 install actually adds a Canon Access Library service to the machine with a auto start and a dependency on SSDP - version 5.1 does not - as far as I can tell there is no option to change this behavior).

For me personally, the annoyance and performance issues with SSDP outweigh the new features in 5.5, so I am staying on 5.1.

I checked all of Canon's support and readme resources and found nothing about this. I sent them an email for feedback.

In any case, if you are wondering why your machine is acting a tad different or are considering upgrading to 5.5, you might find my experience useful.
AConant is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 5, 2005, 3:39 PM   #2

I won't be using, nor considering Zoombrowser.

But that's very helpful of you to point this potentialproblem out for others. (I say potential because some may not suffer it).

Thanks for the heads up .
Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2005, 9:50 AM   #3

Hi,

I have a question, so may be somebody would help me out.

Ihave updated my Canon Zoombrowser 4.5 version to 5.5, I use windows xp. And now I am not able to import images. When I go to "acquire images" and press the button, it goes back to task panel and nothing happens. It doesn't even try to detect the camera. Everything under "Acquire images and Camera Setting" does not work. Camera window does not respond as well. It is weird. Of course, I can download images using other applications, but I want to figure out what is wrong with this. Thank you.
armani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2005, 4:08 PM   #4

I have figure it out. No worries.
Old Oct 18, 2005, 2:21 AM   #5

Armani....Please Please.... What did you "figure out"? I have the same problem with Zoombrowser no longer acquiring images.
kirk_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2005, 8:04 AM   #6

It appears, that the older versions didn't use Canon Camera Access Library, but starting from version 5.0 ithas beenusing this. The problem I found "Canon Camera Access Library 8" could not start, I could not start this service as it depends on two other services, which have to be "on" as well.

So do this:

1) Go to "Control panel"

2) "Adminitstrative Tools"

3) "Services"

4) Check "Canon Camera Access Library 8" and check if it is started or not. Most likely not.

5) Go to properties (double click) "Canon Camera Access Library 8" and try to startit and switch the "startup type" to automatic. It might not start.

6) If it does not start, check if "SSDP Discovery Service" is on and "Windows Image Acquisition (WIA)" as well. Their both Startup types have to be automatic as well.

7) Start "Canon Camera Access Library" close everything and it should start working.

Good luck.
Old Oct 18, 2005, 10:45 AM   #7

ZoomBrowser is fixed! This is what makes the internet great. Lots of people are having this problem and I only found a couple of places with "solutions", but they did not work for me. This did. Thank you.
kirk_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2005, 11:13 AM   #8

Great! I am very happy I could help. All the very best.

I have just received an e-mail fom Canon, recommendins to reinstall camera driver - what a nonsense, sometime I wonder what these people do there.
Old Oct 21, 2005, 5:11 AM   #9

armani wrote:
Quote:
Great! I am very happy I could help. All the very best.

I have just received an e-mail fom Canon, recommendins to reinstall camera driver - what a nonsense, sometime I wonder what these people do there.
i have been reading your problems and i have the same thing phoned canon and done the whole reinstall bit. i have tried to do what you said armani but when i go to "control panel" serices etc i cant find "Canon Camera Access Library 8" its not there .SSDP Discovery Service was on manual which i changed and wia was on auto.

so any suggestions would help

thank you mybobtail
mybobtail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2005, 8:16 AM   #10

Isthis a5.5 version? It is weird. Try to install it properly and watch the instalation, you sould be able to see if the Library has been installed. I assume you use Windows XP. If nothhing works, try going to http://www.canon.ca/english/index-cu...rt.asp?pid=253and choose donwload drivers. Check mark Zoom Browser 5.5 update and download it. I least I know this is a proper update and it works. Remove the previous one completely. I would even suggest to remove all Canon software applications, then install it all again (the old versions) and then update to 5.5. See what happens. Good luck. In the meantime I will think about what more can be done.