Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Viewers or Web Page Creators

Old Dec 13, 2005, 6:59 AM   #1

I noticed that Steve posted an mp4 conversion using Quick Time Pro from one of the Canon A610 videos. It looked great.

I just tried doing this and the quality is very poor, very degraded. A 225mb file is compressed to under 800 kb. How can the quality be good.

What does Steve use, I wonder to get such quality. I need MP4 for viewing on the Epson P2000.

TIA.

Isabel
isabel95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 19, 2005, 11:20 AM   #2

compressing 225MB down to 800KB would be horrible looking!

I checked out his video. It is compressed with H.264 at 792Kb/sec (and probably 2-pass).

I can definitely help you. The quality with mpeg-4 H.264 is really that good.

You need to set the export options correctly. At a minimum, you want mpeg-4 with H.264 compression and 2-pass. That means that it will basically compres the movie twice, which will give you the best picture and smallest file, but it will take twice as long. The conversion will not be fast for a 225MB file. Next you will want to set your datarate at around 800Kb/sec (or 1KB/sec).

Kb = kilobit
KB = kilobyte = 8Kb

It is important to recognize the difference between those 2 because they are unfortunately used interchangably.

What are your requirements? Do you need to keep the movie resolution you have or can you accept 320x240? What is your resolution?

If you can accept 320x240, the easiest way is to tell quicktime to export to ipod. That will generate an m4v file that you can play in quicktime.
memento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2005, 1:54 PM   #3

Thank you so much!
I had to change another setting so that H264 wasn't grayed out.

I am amazed that it looks so good now.

Really appreciate your taking the time to reply!

Isabel
Old Dec 19, 2005, 2:38 PM   #4

I saved a 16mb file down to under 1mb and it looked great and loaded it into my Epson P2000 and received the following message:
"This video cannot be played. The file may be unsupported or corrupt."

The Epson P2000 lists mpeg4 as a supported format.

Still puzzled.

Isabel

memento wrote:
Quote:
compressing 225MB down to 800KB would be horrible looking!

I checked out his video. It is compressed with H.264 at 792Kb/sec (and probably 2-pass).

I can definitely help you. The quality with mpeg-4 H.264 is really that good.

You need to set the export options correctly. At a minimum, you want mpeg-4 with H.264 compression and 2-pass. That means that it will basically compres the movie twice, which will give you the best picture and smallest file, but it will take twice as long. The conversion will not be fast for a 225MB file. Next you will want to set your datarate at around 800Kb/sec (or 1KB/sec).

Kb = kilobit
KB = kilobyte = 8Kb

It is important to recognize the difference between those 2 because they are unfortunately used interchangably.

What are your requirements? Do you need to keep the movie resolution you have or can you accept 320x240? What is your resolution?

If you can accept 320x240, the easiest way is to tell quicktime to export to ipod. That will generate an m4v file that you can play in quicktime.
Old Dec 19, 2005, 8:37 PM   #5

So the first thing to check is whether or not your Epson can handle H.264. That is part of a new revision to the mpeg-4 ISO standard.

If not, then your epson may only handle ISMA compliant video. That means that you can't use H.264.

Can you use Steve's video on your epson? That would show that it can handle h.264.

Sounds like there will be some trial and error to find what works (unless you can find the details of what can be used in the manual). Here's a list of things to try:

1. H.264 at 320x240
2. Steve's video
3. MPEG-4 ISMA advanced (at full resolution and at 320x240)
4. MPEG-4 ISMA basic (at full resolution and at 320x240)
5. export "Movie to ipod"

One of those should work. Then we can tweek the quality. MPEG-4 is very new and very good, but compatability needs to be better integrated.
Old Dec 19, 2005, 8:46 PM   #6

I realize that is the problem! The Epson can't handle the H.264! I have an email in to them asking if they will have a firmware upgrade to accept it.
The other codec in QuickTime Pro for mp4 produces crummy looking video. The H.264 really is outstanding, although it takes a heck of a long time to produce (if you don't use the one-pass option).

Thanks for getting me started on this quest. I was sort of locked in neutral for a few days there with no one suggesting anything that got me going!

Even if I never get the H.264 produced mp4 into the P2000 I am so happy to have discovered this method of compression. The results are outstanding for a file that is so very much smaller!

Thank you.

Isabel
http://isabelcutler.com/isabel95
Old Dec 20, 2005, 8:17 AM   #7

According to your manual, it supports videos up to 640x480 and MPEG-4 simple profile at up to 2.5Mb/sec.

You can try encoding it as a simple mp4 and increase the bitrate until you get the quality you want.

If you're using a mac, I can tell you about other software that can probably do a better job of encoding mp4. If not, you'll have to search, but the key will be to have 2-pass encoding.
Old Dec 20, 2005, 10:28 AM   #8

Thanks, Steve. I will try increasing the bitrate to see what I get.
Initial tries of non h.624 codec were disappointing.

Isabel, using a PC!
Old Dec 22, 2005, 6:11 PM   #9

Hey there. I've just bought a Canon A610 and want to compress the video files. I don't know much about multimedia stuff, however i do have Premiere Pro (don't reallly know how to use it). I was wondering what program you were using to convert and compress your video files? and if i can use Premiere to do the same thing? When i try to import the file, it says the compression is not supported. Do i need another program to convert it to MPEG first?

I love this camera and bought it thanks to the great reviewsit got on this site. I also bought a 1GB card off ebay for taking full advantage of the video this camera's capable of.

A little help would be greatly appreciated. Maybe even a run-through of how to do it, if you had the time:-). Thanks, Doug.
canon a610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2005, 6:56 PM   #10

I'm very new at this and the only program I know that has the H.264 compression that Steve used to make his excellent mp4 conversion in the Canon 610 review is QuickTime Pro...and that's what I used.

I just converted a 226mb avi file from the A610 to only 12 mb using QuickTime Pro. The two-pass (recommended) method of conversion to mp4 in QuickTime Pro takes a very long time. I think this conversion took about 40 minutes.

Here's the file: http://isabelcutler.comALittleCatnipMP4.MP4

There's a thread in the dpreview.com Canon Talk forum about how this is done. It starts here: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=16344496

Isabel