Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Viewers or Web Page Creators

Old May 19, 2006, 9:47 PM   #1

hey all,

I am going to give it a shot and try to make my own site. I thought about using frontpage as it is pretty much drag and drop etc...but am open to learning more...I have "creating web pages for dummies" should help me out for the most part. My question for now, is how can I prevent people from downloading my images.....Obviously I can put the watermark on there, but I thought maybe I could disable the right click availability on the pictures? any suggestions???

Thanks for your time
dashboardgyno is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 21, 2006, 7:18 AM   #2

make sure u are looking at the code for the page and paste this after the head tag

<script language="JavaScript">
// distributed by http://hypergurl.com <!-- var popup="Sorry, right-click
is disabled.\n\nThis Site Copyright ©2000"; function noway(go) { if
(document.all) { if (event.button == 2) { alert(popup); return false; } } if (document.layers)
{ if (go.which == 3) { alert(popup); return false; } } } if (document.layers)
{ document.captureEvents(Event.MOUSEDOWN); } document.onmousedown=noway; // -->
</script>

copied that from a site, the link is in the code if u wanna visit it. the code needs to be on all pages of your site

hope that helps

Gary

Reanimator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2006, 6:32 PM   #3

Also consider only allowing low resolution pics to be on the site with the option to buy full version ones.

Don't have a site with pictures if you don't want to share.

Terry
Teddy Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2006, 8:12 PM   #4

You can make it harder for not tech savvy people to copy your pics, but basically if you can see an image on your screen then that image is stored in memory on your computer and you can save it. If you don't want to share your pics, don't put them on your website. If you don't want them copied then post low-res shots and watermark them.
jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2006, 6:46 PM   #5
DJT

There's a little program called HTMLProtector. I don't have a addy for it off hand. I downloaded it once to try it out for the right click (for a website I made for someone). It's not a bad program. Stops downloads, printing, right clicking and more. I didn't get to try it out too much, just wanted to finish the website to work on my own and the many others I maintain.

Look for it and try it. Then let me know. I'm too lazy.
DJT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2006, 12:02 PM   #6
Administrator

As others have already mentioned, there really isn't a foolproof way to keep someone that wants your images from getting them.

If they can see them, they can save them.

There is some javascript around that prevents someone from right clicking on an image and downloading one. But, it's easily bypassed:

http://www.webdeveloper.com/forum/ar...p/t-87939.html

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2006, 9:28 AM   #7

you could also put the pictures in flash fourmat.
but like all the other guys have said is true if it can bee seen it can bee saved.

here is a good free photo album generator it's very good just as good as shareware http://jalbum.net/
nacho32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2006, 5:59 AM   #8

By using the PrintScreen key people are able to copy anything they see on a website. That is one of the ways people get around the No Right Click javascript that is available.

If you are using Flash however, you can prevent the PrintScreen key from doing anything by using ActionScript. I don't have the instructions in front of me but if someone is interested and is using Flash let me know.

Dave
headhunter66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2006, 3:19 PM   #9

I think the best way is to just use the watermarks. I have gotten around right-click blockers before, it isn't that tricky (I just can't remember how do it:-))

Your best bet is to just cut the quality a bit and add a watermark. Keep the resolution low as well.
Morag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2006, 7:54 AM   #10
Administrator

Morag2 wrote:
Quote:
I think the best way is to just use the watermarks. I have gotten around right-click blockers before, it isn't that tricky (I just can't remember how do it:-))
I do it all the time.

I find the use of Javascript to disable right clicking a minor irritant (especially since I often need to look at an Image's EXIF to see what went wrong when users request help, and some photo sharing sites disable right clicking by default).

So, I'd rather users didn't use this kind of feature with their photo albums. But, it's quickly bypassed.

If you disable JavaScript in your browser, you can right click on the photos and download them.

I use a free Firefox add-on called PrefBar to easily disable JavaScript, Flash, and more by by unchecking boxes associated with these features (fast, since you don't even need to go into the browser menus to disable Javascript).

Disabling Javascript also lets me see the EXIF in images (if it's there) using existing tools like IExif by right clicking on an image.

You can also use the Save Page As features in a browser like Firefox to save the web page, including the photos, to bypass the Javascript (no need to even disable Javascript if you save the web page).

Of course, another way is to simply do a screen print (press CTRL+Print Screen) and paste the screen into an image editor using CTRL+V or Edit>Paste for a photo that's screen size or smaller.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote