Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Viewers or Web Page Creators

Old Jun 20, 2006, 9:42 PM   #1

hey there. I wanna pick a software to organize my pictures and all. so far I've looked into picasa, picture project (I own a d50) and cam2pc. cam2pc seems to me like the simplest and most effective one so far... any suggestions?

oh, and I'm wondering if there's any software out there that'll burn pictures to cds or dvds and still keep thumbs so I have a database on my pc of all the photos I have stores on media (amazing how fast the gigabytes pile up!)

oh, one more thing: what about raw processing on those?

thanks!
kezs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 23, 2006, 11:43 AM   #2

I've used Picasa for a while and I like it a lot, but it can be a pain to tell it to stop looking for pictures on your computer. As for burning files to a CD/DVD and keeping thumbs on your system, you may want to look into iView Media Pro or iMatch. Both of those are digital management software and is very powerful but it may be what you are looking for.

Dave
headhunter66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2006, 6:31 AM   #3

Hi,

I think the latest Picasa 2.5 beta is nice:

http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail...s/1067993856/1

Unlike the previous poster stated, it is easy to instruct which folders to "watch" and which to ignore, just go to Tools>FolderManager

Furthermore this latest version will show the folder structure of those "watched folders"

The search feature is very fast and will take into account filename, foldername, caption, embedded keywords/tags,...

Tags and captions get written to .jpeg IPTC metadata.
At the moment it doesn't read/write DNG keywords or captions.

Picasa does support RAW files, including DNG (2.5 beta)

Picasa does not have a offlineCD catalog feature, but it is easy to work around it.

1-Burn your pics to CD/DVD

2-Create a folder named "CDxx_catalog" and have Picasa watch it

3-Batch convert/resize your CD/DVD pics with that folder as the output folder. You can use FaststoneViewer (free) to do that. I would resize to get a decent preview (600x800 or more)

4-That's it. You can now browse your CDcatalog with Picasa
jnrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2006, 1:37 PM   #4

jnrob,

thanks for the tip. that's a good one. though a big inconvenient... I know cam2pc has this catalog feature. you can even put a cd in the drive and it'll read it and store thumbnails. that's much easier than having to do everything... but still an option. picasa looks great, but I don't like this whole google domination anymore.

headhunter,

I'm downloading trial versions for those softwares, but seems to me like iMatch is what I'd been looking for. thanks for that!

cheers.
Old Jun 25, 2006, 8:55 PM   #5

some extra considerations about my "workaround solution":
1- resizing utility must support RAW (FaststoneViewer does)
2- it must keep exif/iptc/xmp(dng) metadat intact
Faststone should keep exif/iptc intact (so they say) but I doubt it reads DNG xmp metadata ...

Having said that, there is a free utility, Pixvue, which allows to catalog off-line media (CDs,...). And it has complete IPTC/XMP support (but does not read DNG files):
www.pixvue.com/help/organize.html

Old Jun 25, 2006, 10:28 PM   #6

again, thanks, jnrob.

so far I'm impressed with iView MediaPro. I think the cataloguing features are really interesting, easy to use and comprehensive, more so than in the others I've looked at (including cam2pc, thumbsplus and photoshop album). so far I haven't been able to find how to burn dvds while keeping offline content in the database... the backup/burn cd feature only seems to backup while keeping the pics in the hard drive. I'm sure there must be a way, though.
Old Jun 26, 2006, 3:59 AM   #7

Hi kezs,
I agree, iview is very nice.
I think you can directly import CDs into a catalog.
To preview your CD pics without the CD you do need to set the catalog to store large previews:

Media previews
These previews are large JPEG proxy images that
will be displayed in Media View, Slide Show and
Light Table regardless of whether or not original
media files are available for display.
Media previews are particularly useful if the
majority of your media is stored on ofline stor-
age volumes, such as CD or DVD. These previews
are also useful for distributing catalogs without
having to include the original media iles.
To create a catalog with media previews:
1. Create a new catalog.
In the Edit menu, select Thumbnails & Previews.
Check the Create full screen previews box. This
will enable the creation of Media Previews.

(pdf manual P11)
Old Jun 26, 2006, 10:58 PM   #8

once again thanks jnrob.

I downloaded the manual today and it helps.

the offline media integration isn't all that good, though. from what I've seen, I can add recorded media to the catalog, but I can't seem to do what's most important: organize the pictures into catalogs, tags, ratings and so forth, and then move them all to a dvd while keeping that information. I might be wrong, but appartently when I get enough pics to fill a dvd, I'd have to burn them into it and then categorize it all over again...

cam2pc and, apparently, iMatch do that in a much easier way.
Old Jun 30, 2006, 11:00 AM   #9

I can suggest PicaJet FX - http://www.picajet.com

PJ can write/backup the pictures to CD/DVD and leave only small thumbnails on their database. So you will be able search through entire your collection quickly. And you will be promted to insert the appropriate disc by necessary. Another cool feature which I like on PicaJet - your picture tags can be saved as HTML tree on the DVD. So it can be then viewed on my Mac laptop.

It works fine with RAW files, and even can import my DNG Crop parameters which is necessary for my workflow.
FotoMag is offline   Reply With Quote