Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Viewers or Web Page Creators

Old Sep 2, 2006, 11:22 AM   #1

Hey all, I'm hoping to start my own webpage soon to share my photos. However I need a program to make it with. I can use Macromedia Dreamweaver quite well, but it is simply too much money!

So what is a good freeware program I can use to make my webpage?
Morag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 2, 2006, 11:59 AM   #2

To be honest, I don't know of very many, if any at all, free webpage programs. I've used both Dreamweaver and Frontpage. I like both of them and have decided to stick with Frontpage, although it still goes for about 100 bucks. If I run into any freeware I will let you know.

Dave
headhunter66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2006, 12:07 PM   #3

Morag2 wrote:
Quote:
Hey all, I'm hoping to start my own webpage soon to share my photos. However I need a program to make it with. I can use Macromedia Dreamweaver quite well, but it is simply too much money!

So what is a good freeware program I can use to make my webpage?
I find Piczo is very easy to make a website. You can store 200 photos at first and then you can get more and more photos, depending on how many visitors visit your website. If you have any personal images, i.e. family. You can password protect your pages. Or you could have differen't websites for differen't categories of your photos. Example: if you shoot Landscapes, Animals, Sports? You could have a website for each of those!

Tell me if this helps!:-)

shooting_rubber.

shooting_rubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2006, 12:17 PM   #4
Administrator

A popular product to generate albums is JAlbum

It'scross platform, free,and you can find a lot of nice looking templates to use with it. It also doesn't require browser plugins to view the content (and only Sun's JRE on the generation end, which is available free for multiple platforms).

If I were going to use a product for generating albums for my use, that's the one I'd try first (and probably end up using since I like some of the skins available that are similar to some of the pbase.com templates).

A more sophisicatedproduct that's geared more towards letting additional users setup their own album space is Coppermine

But, from an admin perspective, you'll need to have more hooks into the server (MySQL, PHP, etc.).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2006, 12:26 PM   #5

Webplus

NVU

Selida HTML Editor

Amaya

WebDwarf

1st Page 2000
Sintares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2006, 9:48 PM   #6

Many thanks to all of you, but the thing that caught my eye here is that frontpage is only $100??? I thought it was (like dreamweaver), $400 US. I might just buy that.
Old Sep 4, 2006, 5:04 AM   #7

Here is one that is free

http://www.arachnoid.com/arachnophilia/
PhotoFusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2006, 12:22 AM   #8

Frontpage is not the best

Pages that look fine in other web editors, look completely messed up in frontpage

As for Adobe GoLive (which is expensive) I have never used such a poorly programmed piece of garbage in my life.

I run a dual processor system with 2 gigs of ram on windows 64-bit... and the program is slow as molasses. Crashes often, too.
mongrelchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2006, 8:02 AM   #9

So what do you use MongrelChild? You told me what not to buy, I still don't know what to look into?
Old Sep 13, 2006, 12:26 AM   #10

Nvu works pretty well. i will try out a couple of other interesting programs posted on here in the coming days and give you my thoughts.

In the mean time, nvu is very easy to use and quick.
mongrelchild is offline   Reply With Quote