Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Welcome Center > Welcome! Introduce yourself here

Old Apr 26, 2008, 1:57 AM   #1

My name is Tom and I came here to this forum four years ago to learn about what camera to buy by reading the reviews heredone by Steve. I started with a Panasonic LC40s which I still have and use since it has the Summicron lens and has an aperture of 2.0. I learned quite a bit in the Panasonic forum especially when the FZ models made their debut. I moved up tothe FZ1v2 and found that 12x zoom was like the neatest thing ever. Going from 36mm to 432mm in such a small package was just too cool. It was also found out that it did not have an IR blocker, thus,the ability to take infra red pictures made this an even better camera. I still have it as well and basically use it for IR shots or extra reach shots when I put on the Raynox 1540 pro 1.5x telephoto lens. It is great that it also maintains it 2.8 throughout the entire focal range.

Two megapixels with an FZ1v2 did not make good formaking large prints so I bought the FZ10 and my interest really took off. I learned the most with this camera and shared quite a bit in the forum of the images I had taken. The FZ20 came along and I went and got that too. I shot with it along with the other two and was pleased at the results I was getting.I decided to give it a go with indoor sports shooting (no flash)and that is when I found to no avail that aP&S and/or Ultrazoom would not be able to perform as I had expected. Frombasketball to wrestling I got miserable results. It started to discourage me and I decided to finally buy a dSLR.

Pentax is what I started with and my results weren't much better for sports (this is due to the availability of fast glass and the cost being way beyond what I would want to afford) but in everything else my shots were improving and I learned even more in the Pentax forum.I did get a fast lens and got a few keepers and researched even more about sports shooting but the sports forum heredid not have near the information and/or expertise it has now. I was happy to get excellent results out doors for soccer and football and found that I was missing shots due to the buffer filling up in the Pentax and the slower rate of FPS.

Nikon came into the picture and it CLS. I enjoyiteven more withwhat I can dowith myphotography. I continue to learn more and more. Recently, I purchased the Casio Exilim EX-V8 for my P&S shots and so far enjoy its compactness and richness in features.

This forum has some wonderful members that are helpful and informative and when time permits I will meet a couple of them in my future travels.

vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 26, 2008, 7:31 AM   #2

Welcome, Tom-

It is always good to see a familiar face. We have shared a lot over the years.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2008, 1:50 PM   #3

Thanks Tom for posting an intro, appreciate your posts in the past.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote