Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Welcome Center > Welcome! Introduce yourself here

Old May 11, 2008, 7:56 PM   #1

Hi everyone,

I think like a lot of us the photo bug bit at an early age. When I was around 10 I received my first camera, it was a little instamatic that took 126 film (I think I am showing my age).When I was a sophomore in high school I join the photo club and one teacher took me under his wing showing me how to use an 35mm SLR camera, how to process my own B+W film and do my own prints. At about the same time I start having my photos published in the local newspaper and also writing stories for the paper. Now some 34 years later I still love to take photographs and still have photos published in local papers (we now have two of them) and write sports reports and special features for one of them. The film cameras and darkroom disappeared about six years ago when I bought first Canon Digital Rebel. My preference is shooting sports action but as many know I also love taking shots for fires, fire fighters and fire trucks. Being a fire fighterI can get closer to the action than normal people can or would want to (after all this time there is no doubt that any fire fighter cannot be considered normal. Who else would run towards something that everyone else is running away from).

When I am not taking pictures I am the assistant supervisor of the county's 9-1-1 dispatch and have been in public safety dispatching for 19 years. In September I will celebrate 30 years as a paid call fire fighter for my home town department with a designation of safety officer and photographer, which I am still a member of even though I do not live in that town now. Besides that FD I belong to the department in the town I live in (but all the members of that department also belong to my home town department. That is a long story and no where's near enough room here) and I am the lead communications officer for the county's HazMat Strike Team. My other great interest is amateur radio. I have held a license since the early 90's. I hold an Extra Class license and my screen name is my current call sign.

I am not married and do not have any kids which has allowed me to work at spoiling my six nieces and 1 nephew along with 5 great nephews and 1 great niece.

My current equipment is a Canon 30D, Canon Digital Rebel XT, Canon 50mm F.18 lens, Sigma 28-70mm f2.8 lens, Canon 70-300 IS USM lens, a Sigma 170-500mm Lens, a Sigma DG Super flash, a vivitar 283 flash, two desktop computers, four printers, two scanners and a notebook computer.

I joined Steves in december of 2002. I have been a daily visitor and have found this site to be a wealth of information and knowledge.

That's about it. Have a great day everyone and keep shooting

k1par is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 11, 2008, 8:09 PM   #2

k1par wrote:
I think like a lot of us the photo bug bit at an early age. When I was around 10 I received my first camera, it was a little instamatic that took 126 film (I think I am showing my age).
You're still a youngster if your first camera took one of them new-fangled instamatic cartridges....bunch of us had to learn to roll film with 120, 127, & 620. :lol:

Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2008, 10:33 PM   #3

Hi and welcome. Its nice to see another firefighter in this site. Where I live I am the county's volunteer fire-rescue photographer. We have 4 fire stations, a combo rescue-water rescue and 3 rescue stations in 180sq miles. I've got full gear that reads fire photographer on the back and a lot of the photos I take end up in our local county paper. All the photos I take end up on a computer at the local firehouse where I run out of and go on CDs to the other firehouses for training, morale etc.

Fuji S9100 is my camera of choice because I didn't want anything that I need to change lenses in smoke and water. I now also have the Olympus Stylus 820.

Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2008, 2:18 PM   #4

Well… I don't know if I should say "welcome aboard" since you've been here a lot longer than I have! :G Anyway, it's nice to meet you. From reading your introduction, it sounds like we went to different schools together. Similar backgrounds, skills and hobby's.
That thing you mentioned about running the wrong direction… that kinda had me wondering about my sanity too! :shock::lol::lol::lol:

Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2008, 2:47 PM   #5

Hi Phil,

Nice to meet you - real Canon fan :-)

I used to have one Praktica and 2 different Olympus cameras - traditional ones and when black-and-white photos were in fashion I used to develop them at home.

I am a brand new owner of a Canon PowerShot A720 IS - as a start in theera of the new technics :-)

I admire you for your work as a fire-fighter, you are a very brave man.

Kindest regards,

Margarita from Budapest, Hungary

Margarita is offline   Reply With Quote