Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Welcome Center > Welcome! Introduce yourself here

Old Jun 4, 2008, 3:13 PM   #1

Hello all. I don't get down to this end of the forums very often and I just discovered this forum.

My name is Cal Rasmussen and I am lead moderator in the "Biweekly Shootout" forum. I am retired but wish I wasn't! Money is tight.

I have been into photography since the 1960's but only started getting serious about it about 15 years ago. I started shooting a Minolta SRT-101A 35mm SLR purchased aboard ship while I was in the Navy. About 15 years ago, after taking a couple of photography classes, I upgraded to a Nikon N70 and subsequently to a Nikon F100, both 35mm.

Digital cameras started to hit the market while I was shooting the N70 but I was not at all impress with the performance. I swore I would never purchase one until they improved significantly. About six or seven years ago, six-megapixel cameras started appearing and I got interested. Nikon introduced the D100 which really got my attention. However, my wife suggested that I start with something less expensive to see if I would really be happy with digital. I purchased a Minolta S414 6mp point and shoot and started playing with it. It takes really great photos after you hit it over the head with a 2x4 to get its attention. The auto-focus is lousy and the LCD screen is impossible to see in bright light. Shades don't help.

I finally bought a D100 and love it. The filename counter is about to roll over 10,000 photos taken. Now I am looking forward to someday owning either a D80 or D200.

When I am not photographing things, I enjoy woodworking. I have purchase some nice power tools in recent years and am really getting into the hobby.

I am married (25 years) with no children. We have a beautiful Sheltie named Annie who had her fifth birthday just a couple weeks ago. Her photo is my avatar.

I guess that's enough info on me. I encourage everyone to pay a visit to the Biweekly Shootout forum to see what's going on. We have a lot of fun and get to post and see a lot of great photos.

My name is Cal but my screen name is CALR.

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links