Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Welcome Center > Welcome! Introduce yourself here

Old Jun 22, 2008, 7:13 PM   #1

Hello all, nice to find a list mostly dedicated to Pentax. I read with great interest, your opinions on the Metz 48 flash since I was looking at this product. Thanks for the useful info.

I am a Mac user, and ride a Yamaha Vino 125 for giggles (and to save money).

So hello to friends and fellow Pentax users.
wired7234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 22, 2008, 7:52 PM   #2

Welcome to the forums.

I was just browsing through the latest posts in that thread about the Metz 48AF1 you're probably referring to. I'd probably lean towards one of the MZ series flashes if going with a Metz. That way, you could use the Metz Auto mode feature that takes advantage of the built in sensor in the flash that terminates the flash output when it sees enough reflected light for the Aperture and ISO speed being used. This type of solution also eliminates the need for the metering preflash that most dedicated flash models need with digital.

I think the 58AF1 is the only AF series Metz flash with this type of Auto mode (using a built in sensor in the flash that measures reflected light during the flash exposure). This feature is normally found in the MZ series flashes like the 54MZ4. Some of the newer AF series models do have the ability for firmware updates via USB. So, that's an advantage over the MZ series models (which require an upgrade of the removable flash foot instead). There are pros and cons to either type.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote