Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Welcome Center > Welcome! Introduce yourself here

Old Jan 1, 2009, 6:29 PM   #1

Hello i'm new to the dslr world and stumbled across this site while looking for a lens that will give me a greater range and distance. I have the D80 and two lens Nikon ED, AF 80-200mm f/2.8d and Nikon DX, VR, AF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6g. I wish to shoot indoors and outdoors sports and may need a lens for distance.
AntD80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 2, 2009, 3:33 AM   #2
Super Moderator

Hi and welcome.... we are glad you stumbled in the right direction

You have a good start with the 80-200mm f2.8 as this is a lot better lens than consumer level zooms.

Now the questions have to be what sports do you want to shoot, what level are they being played at (this can affect lighting for indoors), how close to the action can you get.

Shooting sports is equipment intensive especially for indoor so imperative that you don't put money in the wrong option as you will get no use.

Already in a well lit gym you are not going to get any brighter in a zoom lens, I think the 80-200 focuses slower than the new 70-200 f2.8 but not 100% sure as I've not shot with them.

So generally for indoor sports you need to look at prime lenses to get the shutter speeds desired.

More specific advice can be given when there is extra info on what you want to do.

Really hope you enjoy your new camera,

Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote