Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Welcome Center > Welcome! Introduce yourself here

Old Jul 19, 2009, 1:47 AM   #1
Default canon t1i newbie

happy to be part of the community, I'm new to the world of dslr's. but eager to learn. i just got me the new canon T1i with the kit lens. So far I'm liking the camera. hope to learn some new things here. hello to everyone
digitaltouch32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 19, 2009, 9:54 AM   #2
Super Moderator

Hi and welcome to Steve's!!

The T1i is a nice camera and on of the options I have in my bag. The kit lens will do a good job of helping you learn the basics and will help you capture some lovely shots.

A good way to learn is to try lots of different things (shooting digital is free) and try to capture shots from angles that you usually wouldn't see them from. Try things low, high, at an angle etc.

I would also do some searching in composition, the rule of thirds, using lines to lead you into a shot etc.

There are some very knowledgeable people here so jump in, post some shots, see what people think and take it from there.

Looking forward to seeing some of your shots.

Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2009, 5:36 PM   #3
Default Newbie too!

Hi there,
my name is Duke and my girlfriend and I just bought a new Canon t1i with the kit lens. This is our first DSLR and we are so excited to learn about digital photography. I would love to learn more about photography and how to take better pictures. i'm so excited, I can't work today, wished I was home taking pictures. =D
Any advice on where to learn would be great! I want to shorten the learning curve as much as possible.
dasbcjoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2009, 7:02 AM   #4

Welcome to the forums Duke. Any good book on basic photography can help out, and it doesn't even need to be specific to digital because the basics of exposure and composition are the same.

You'll find the forums here to be a good resource, too. For example, if you don't understand why a photo isn't coming out the way you intended it to, start a thread and ask for help (posting a downsized image showing the problem) and some of our members can give you some tips and what you may want to change for better results.

For camera specific tips, you may want to visit Canon's learning center:

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2009, 7:50 AM   #5

Duke - I'd also like to add the following:
If you have questions about a certain photo - post in the Critiques forum or in the genre forum (landscape, people, sports, wildlife etc) and specifically ask for help. Just because you own a Canon camera doesn't mean a Pentax or Nikon shooter can't give you good help. If you're trying to shoot landscapes, you'll get much better help or advice from another landscape shooter that uses Oly than you will from a Canon shooter that doesn't shoot landscapes.

Glad to have you aboard!
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2009, 11:11 PM   #6

hello welcome to the world of dslr's. happy to hear we have the same camera. The thing i've been doing is searching youtube the web on how to take better pictures and messing with the camera alot. but would love to see what u have taken so far.
digitaltouch32 is offline   Reply With Quote