Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Welcome Center > Welcome! Introduce yourself here

Old Aug 29, 2009, 10:18 PM   #1
Default Hi and looking for help..

I posted this in the underwater forum but wanted to introduce myself and thanks Steve for an excellent site. I'm an avid scuba diver who has never photographed down under. But I just got back from Indonesia and had the fantastic opportunity of diving with a mimic octopus. It's rare to see one and I could kick myself for not having a camera!! If you don't know what they are, check it out.. They're awesome. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8oQBYw6xxc
So... next time I experience a rare moment, I want to be prepared.
I'm really not looking for the easy way out... I've spent hours online looking at cameras and the more I look the more confused I get. I've also spoken with multiple salespersons at stores but none seem to know the cameras well enough to recommend what I need as a diver. I'm hoping someone here can "point" me in the right direction. I'm looking for a camera that I can use underwater obviously. I don't want to spend a fortune, but I am willing to spend what it takes to be able to do the following:
1. Have a camera that I can take to 120 feet. (Available housing)
2. A point and shoot that allows for manual option if i ever learn enough.
3. A small f stop since I would prefer not to have an external flash, although I may consider that at a later date.
4. Video clip option
5. Camera software that facilitates a "quick" picture so behaviors can be caught. (I have so many pictures of "no dolphins jumping)!!!
6. Good battery life (Lithium)

I know this is probably a tall order but if anyone has some suggestions I would love to hear them. Thanks so much.
dtbriten is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 30, 2009, 6:23 AM   #2

Welcome to the forums Daryl. Hopefully, some of our members that dive will see your post and respond with some suggestions.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2009, 9:11 PM   #3

Thanks.. and I apologize for asking about the camera in the welcome forum. I posted first and read later!!
dtbriten is offline   Reply With Quote