Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Welcome Center > Welcome! Introduce yourself here

Old Sep 28, 2009, 8:28 PM   #1
Default Photographing cheer leaders outside

I have a Canon D40, my lens is a Canon zoom 70-200 2.8. I am use to shooting ice skaters with this lens but now my daughter is acheer leader to this year and will be competing inside and outdorrs. What is the best ISO and speed to set for this type of sport in and out doors? Outdoors I tried shutter speed 1/250 2.8. Any suggestions to better the photo
BethU is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 29, 2009, 7:14 AM   #2

Cheer can be tricky. If all you care about is your daughter and not the whole team then things get easier. If you want shots of the whole team then depth-of-field (DOF) becomes an issue - especially indoors.

The necessary shutter speed will depend on what is going on. You didn't mention IS so I presume you have the non-IS version of the lens. In general, you probably don't want to shoot below 1/320 at 200mm or you risk camera shake. I say in general because everyone is different. If you have a very steady holding technique you can get away with slower speeds. If not you may need faster speeds.

1/320 is fine for a toss. But a tumbling pass is going to need 1/640 - preferably over 1/1000 if you're outdoors.

As for ISO settings - you go as high as you need to in order to get the shutter speeds you need. That's fine for outdoors. For indoors, with a max ISO of 1600 you're going to be very challenged - often only able to get 1/200 or so at ISO 1600. Camera shake will again be a problem and even motion blur.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote