Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Welcome Center > Welcome! Introduce yourself here

Old May 23, 2010, 11:43 AM   #1
Default Hello from a 'New Guy'

Hello to all. I've been reading tons of information from this forum and have learned a lot, so I thought I'd join.

I'm not a stranger to photography, but I still have sooo much to learn. I guess that's why this is such an enjoyable hobby. I started out with (and still have) a 35mm fully manual Chinon CS-4 with a 50mm and 135mm lense. Using it, I got pretty good at setting up shutter speed, aperature, and flash technique. The camera, while basic, has split prism focusing and a built-in light meter. I haven't used it in years, but it took pretty good photos in its day.

Yesterday, I took the plunge and bought a Canon EOS T2i with the 18-55mm lense. Got it home and started reading the manual and exploring the camera...wow, this is going to be fun! My old Sunpak 222 flash unit bolted right on and works perfectly. I'm sure I'll be posting a question from time to time, but I'll try to help out where I can. Looking forward to chatting with you folks. -Mark
MarkInDixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 23, 2010, 12:26 PM   #2

Welcome to the forums Mark.

I've actually got one of those (a little Sunpak 222 Auto). I sometimes use it off camera at the same time I use a larger Sunpak 333 Auto.

If you don't mind using manual exposure and setting the camera and flash to match for ISO speed and aperture (making sure to set your camera's White Balance to flash, sunny, or something around 5500k), these older flash models are a real bargain for indoor use (I only paid $7 for my Sunpak 222 Auto a few years back at keh.com, and they even threw in a nice coiled PC Sync cord with it). I think I spent more for shipping and tax than I did for the flash. :-)

The Sunpak 222 Auto has a relatively low trigger voltage. But, you'll want to be careful with some flash models, as many older flash models have a relatively high trigger voltage and can damage a newer digital camera's electronics when connected via the camera's hotshoe. See this thread for more details:

Trigger Voltage Limits with Modern Digital Cameras

Congrats on the T2i, and we'll look forward to see you post here.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2010, 1:03 PM   #3
Super Moderator

congratulations on the fine camera purchase and welcome to our forums!
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote