Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Welcome Center > Welcome! Introduce yourself here

Old Mar 19, 2011, 9:38 AM   #1
Default Greetings from Western New York

Greetings to all members of the forum. I live in the Buffalo, New York area.

I chose my screen name because I'm a retired PC tech (almost 5 years now), and I rebuild old computers for our church computer lab for use by youth.

I got my first digicam, a Canon A70, about 8 years ago. A sister in law had one and let me handle it during a visit. I was interested in getting one, and liked it so I bought one.

Four and a half years later, 3 months after a Canyon Lands tour, the A70 stopped working properly and I replaced with another Canon, the A720IS, which still works well.

A couple of years ago I started attending Saturday morning digital photography and editing software classes given by a retired teacher who is also president of one of the local camera clubs. She recommended this website for the high quality of the reviews.

Late spring last year I attended a meeting of one of the 3 different close by camera clubs. One of the members, who also attended the Saturday classes, drove me to a special all day photography event near Letchworth Park and I really enjoyed it. In the fall I joined the club headed by the teacher of the Saturday morning classes and also attended meetings of the other 2 clubs.

As the club year went on, I learned a lot more and was impressed by the photographs by club members. One night my club was fortunate enough to have a night at a professional studio with several models. I was the only member who did not bring a DSLR, but did the best I could with my A720IS.

I kept running into the limitations of my point and shoot camera, even though I was using program and manual modes. From October onward last year, I started looking at DSLRs, with Canon as my preferred brand. When the Rebel XS went on sale, my loving wife told me that she would let me buy one, but after reading reviews, especially the one here, I decided to wait, save more money, and get one higher up the Canon line.

Two weeks ago I bought a Canon 60D with the EFS 18-135 mm 3.5 - 5.6 IS lens, lens hood, etra battery, and HDMI cable. I also joined another one of the local camera clubs.

On Tuesday evening I went on my first club field trip to a nearby local location and had a blast. I made a few rookie mistakes with aperture and ISO settings on some shots, but still got some keepers.

I personally prefer Canon cameras, but people should use whichever brand they like and works best for them.

I look forward to participating in this forum, picking up and eventually sharing knowledge and experience.
junkman51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 19, 2011, 9:50 AM   #2

zombz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2011, 9:50 AM   #3

Thanks for sharing your idea here. I appreciate your idea, very excellent.
Watch TV Online
beau710 is offline   Reply With Quote