Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Welcome Center > Welcome! Introduce yourself here

Old Apr 11, 2011, 10:21 PM   #1
Default Hi All

My name is Jen and I'm new to photography. I've always had this burning desire to capture amazing moments and memories of my young children on camera. My p&s was too slow. I wanted a camera to grow w/ and nurture this hobbie/craft/endeavor...So, I'm now the proud owner of a Nikon D90!!

I will mostly be photographing children, family and friends. I would like to learn how to take some potrait type shots. Using lighting and fun stuff.

I have the camera about a month. I'm trying to make sense of it all. I wish I could find a generic roadmap for different settings and situations. I've changed many of the defalt settings that now I'm not sure where or what is going on??? lol

For example, AF-A, AF-C or AF-S. I've also changed my ISO so many times (having fun w/ that) I'm not sure where to put it at. White balance?? um--do those presets even help or should I leave it on Auto until I work up some skills.

Look forward to learning more. This seems like a friendly place
Wink11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 12, 2011, 7:51 AM   #2

Hey Jen. Welcome to Steve's.

Don't worry, I'd just take your time and learn one thing at a time.

A good way to get help is to post a problem photo and ask for suggestions on what you could have done differently. For example, if Auto White Balance is resulting in less than desired color accuracy in a given lighting, you may want to try setting a custom white balance using a white card or gray card as a target (see your manual for how), or use a preset for the type of lighting you're shooting in.

Or, if you're getting blur from subject movement, you may need to set your ISO speed higher (which will increase noise levels and/or noise reduction, degrading image quality) so that you'll get faster shutter speeds. It's a matter of balance (a bit of noise/grain may be better than blurry subjects).

I wouldn't change a lot of settings unless you know why you're changing them, unless you're just experimenting versus needing to get good shots. The D90 is a very good camera, and it will take some time to learn more about photography and how to get the most out of it. ;-)
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote