Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Welcome Center > Welcome! Introduce yourself here

Old Oct 4, 2011, 11:19 AM   #1
Default Replacement for Rebel XT

My Canon Rebel XT suddenly won't power on. I've tried a new battery and several of the tricks posted by people on this site over the years. Both Canon and my local camera shop say my only option is to send the body in to Canon for repairs. This will cost a minimum of $210. Should I buy a new Canon body instead? If so, what more recent dSLR would be comparable to the Rebel XT? My priorities are shutter speed and image quality (I'm a pediatrician-turned-stay-at-home mom taking pictures of my kids).
skimball is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 4, 2011, 11:57 AM   #2

If you decide you want to fix it, I'd check with Precision Camera. They are an authorized repair center for most major brands, and they are repairing most cameras back to original factory specs for a flat rate fee, which varies by camera model; and it looks like it would only cost $130.95 for your XT.

If you use their repair quote feature and select Canon as the manufacturer, then scroll down through the list of models, you can select Digital Rebel XT and go to the quote screen for it.

If you decide to look for a new camera, I'd start a new thread in our What Camera Should I Buy? Forum, which is setup for that purpose, giving more information on desired budget for better responses.

BTW, Welcome to Steve's
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote