Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Welcome Center > Welcome! Introduce yourself here

Old Oct 29, 2011, 3:38 PM   #1
Default webcam lighting

I've noticed when Skyping grandkids that the lighting around their webcam is very poor. Does anyone know of a reasonably (i.e. "cheap") priced lighting setup that can be used for webcams? I'm guessing some sort of video LED gear, but haven't been able to find anything not ridiculously expensive. Seems that Logitech, etc would manufacture something like that for their webcams.
2oldfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 1, 2011, 9:36 AM   #2

You may find it's easier just to buy a webcam with LEDs already built in.

When I search via Google, or look search for webcam led at vendors like Amazon.com, I see *many* webcams with built in LEDs for lighting, at a wide variety of price points (from a few dollars on up).

I see the same thing when I use our price search engine. If you scroll down through the listings, you'll see a number of them (but, the search is also picking up laptops with webcams built in, so you may need to scroll a bit to find more choices).

Or, depending on how bad the lighting is, perhaps they just need a higher quality webcam versus a cheaper one with LEDs built in.

I'd read through user reviews of popular models to see what users think, paying attention to how well they do or don't work for buyers.

Logitech has some models with Auto Lighting correction built in. Here's a 1.3MP model at a pretty good price:

Here's a higher resolution model that looks like it gets very good reviews:

For example, I see one user's feedback that said this about it (in the Buzz section on the right side of the listing, which looks like it's probably from today and doesn't show up in the feedback list yet):

"Picture quality is *phenomenal* is low lighting. All I need is the light from my monitor to get a clear picture. .."

But, I'd make sure the model you buy works OK with Skype using the Operating System it's installed in. For example, I do see some comments from users about the less expensive model saying they had problems getting it working under Skype 5 in XP.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote