Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Welcome Center > Welcome! Introduce yourself here

Old Nov 17, 2011, 6:37 PM   #1
Default New here!

Hey. I'm just getting into photography at the age of 25. I really want to learn about the art of it...how to make the camera do what I want it to do. I find all the techniques interesting!

I bought a bridge camera, Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ40 to learn with. I didn't want to throw myself right in to a DSLR!

I posted my first shots over in the Panasonic forum but it says they need approved! Hopefully they meet the necessary qualifications and get posted. I'm anxious to get feedback and tips! Thanks everyone!
sumx4182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 17, 2011, 7:02 PM   #2

I Just approved your post (it was flagged for moderation since you're a new member here and sometimes that happens, especially when links to photos are included).

Hopefully, you'll get some good feedback from members. At a quick glance, I'd suggest using a tripod, go with manual exposure, and use slower shutter speeds until the exposure looks brighter (as you'll sometimes see cameras exposing too dark when brighter light sources are in the frame as in those photos).

Welcome to Steve's
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2011, 7:14 PM   #3

Thanks alot! Yes. I don't have a tripod yet. I felt like I did a decent job for handheld night photos. haha.

The first was 1s - Shutter speed priority AE, the second was 1/4s Program AE. It was hard to hold extremely steady much longer than a second (though I only tried once with crappy results).

I was going for a darker look thought. I kinda wanted it to get washed out with darkness other than the street immediately under the lamp post. I was worried that longer exposures would look too bright for what I wanted.
sumx4182 is offline   Reply With Quote