Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Welcome Center > Welcome! Introduce yourself here

Old Feb 8, 2012, 9:47 AM   #1
Default Newcomer with a problem

Hi everyone.

My name is Gary and I live in South Africa. I recently purchased a Canon 7D with a 18-135mm lens and have been taking many photos in an attempt to learn all the features of this camera.

There is one problem I have found though and I am hoping that someone will be able to help. When I take photos (even at ISO 200) I am getting a great deal of noise in my photos. They look fine in the LSD but when I get them to my PC and at a larger size the noise is quite visible. I think that I may be doing something wrong or have a setting that is blowing my photos out.

I use mostly shutter or Aperture priorities for my shots.

Please help

garysa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 8, 2012, 10:02 AM   #2

Hey Gary:

Welcome to Steve's

You may want to post a sample of the problem you're referring to. At 100% viewing size, it's not uncommon to see a bit of noise in underexposed areas that don't get as much light. Ditto for blue skies (most cameras will tend to show a bit of noise in skies if looking at 100% viewing size on sreen).

But, keep in mind that you're looking at the equivalent of a very large image size that way. So, at more typical viewing and print sizes, it's probably not be noticeable.

In any event, if you're concerned about it, I'd start a new thread in our Canon dSLR forum with a sample image (and/or 100% crops), and make sure to include the EXIF information showing camera settings being used. That way, other 7D users may be able to give you some tips about what may be causing the issue you're seeing.

If you're editing the photos later, sometimes brightening an underexposed photo will cause issues, too (just as if you used a higher ISO speed to begin with). Ditto for using contrast and sharpening settings that are too high.

Camera settings that do the same thing can also cause issues. So, you may want to set your camera back to factory defaults to make sure a settings change you made isn't causing your problems.

You'll find a "Clear all camera settings" choice in your setup menus for that purpose:

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote