Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Welcome Center > Welcome! Introduce yourself here

Old Feb 21, 2012, 11:14 AM   #1
Default Sanyo Xacti VPC-CG20

Greetings from a 'Newbe' in Cambridge, UK.
I have a Sanyo Xacti VPC-CG20 which is great until I want to download to a Double Layer DVD when I am told the disc has insufficient space.
Do I have to record in HD? What is "Full SHQ" & "TV SHQ?.
TIA for any help.
sueandmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 21, 2012, 1:54 PM   #2

No. you don't have to use the highest quality recording modes. But, I'd suggest it, and then just convert the format later in order to fit on a DVD if desired. For example, Handbrake (free) can do that for you.

Basically, after you open a source, you can go to the Video Tab and make changes for quality desired (frame rate and more).

Then, click on the Picture Options icon at the top (second from right) and set Anamorphic to off, uncheck for "Optimal for Source" and pick a different output resolution.

Then, click the icon to add it to the queue, and when you use the right arrow icon at the top, it will convert it for you, saving to the output file name selected.

Another way to approach it would be to just use one of the Apple Presets you'll see on the right side of the page (iPad, iPhone, etc.), as those will automatically set the resolution to something smaller for you. For DVD purposes, you may want to use a higher quality mode, though.

You may have to play with it a bit to find what works better for you (lowering resolution, and/or quality, and/or frame rate until you find what you're comfortable with for an acceptable balance of playback quality and storage space required.

Here's a quick start guide for Windows:

Get Handbrake here (it's free):

You may also want to start a thread in our Sanyo Forum and see if other Xacti users can give you some tips on how to approach it with the highest quality possible while still fitting longer clips on a DVD.

BTW, Welcome to Steve's
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote