Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Welcome Center > Welcome! Introduce yourself here

Old Sep 7, 2012, 10:03 AM   #1
Default Hi, I am Lisa with a Canon SX40 and a question on Stills from Video

I am new to this forum (but have been reading many, many of the posts which is how I decided on the Canon SX40). I use it mainly for my children's sports. I was previously using a camcorder (Sanyo Xacti) which is great in low light, but I wanted a camera with a better zoom, focus and sharper pics w/in budget. With the Xacti I was able to video and take stills with no interuption. While the Canon has this feature, it interupts the video. I tried a few online programs but then the still is not very good. Does anyone know how I can get a great still from an SX40 video AFTER the video has been recorded? (I tried putting the SD card in the Xacti after but it couldn't read the canon video format). Thank you.
tjlisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 7, 2012, 1:39 PM   #2

Hey Lisa. Welcome to Steve's

As for problems displaying images on a card taken by a different camera model, that's typical.

Even if the images are taken by the same camera model, if you edit them and copy them back to the memory card, chances are, the camera can't display them. In other words, most cameras are not designed to playback images that were not taken by the same camera, or have been modified in any way.

Instead, they're only designed to let you see the images you've taken so far with the camera you're shooting with, period.

As for getting a decent still photo from a video frame, that's going to be an issue with most camera models, as the individual frames are not being shot with a high enough sampling rate to make good stills in most cases (to cut back on disk space and processing time needed to process images at a frame rate high enough for video).

After all, it would be pretty hard to take higher quality still photos at 24 or 30 frames per second, which is what a camera is trying to do when shooting HD video.

Capturing high quality still images at frame rates that high is well beyond the processing power of virtually anything other than very expensive Pro models.

But, you may have some luck combining more than one frame into a single still image for higher quality.

So, you may want to post this question in our Canon Forum to see if anyone else wanting the same thing has figured out a better way to approach it.

Good Luck, and again, Welcome to Steve's
JimC is online now   Reply With Quote