Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Welcome Center > Welcome! Introduce yourself here

Old Feb 22, 2013, 9:05 AM   #1
Default Hello from Omaha, Ne

Hello everyone. My name is Steve. I'm semi retired and live in Omaha. Having not had what I would call a GOOD camera since my 35mm Minolta was stolen, I've been somewhat surprised by the differences, options, capabilities of the better cameras of today. I'm in the process of buying a new camera, and for my purposes and budget the Canon Powershot SX40 seems to be a good choice. But here's where I'm getting stuck.

I still have a number of 55mm filters that were used on my old Minolta, and being in excellent condition I'd like to be able to use them on the SX40. But so far all I can find are 58mm and 67mm adapter rings for the SX40. I was planning on buying a 58mm ring, but would also like to find a 55mm ring for my old filters. So here are some questions.
1. Does a reputable mfg even make a 55mm adapter ring? I find references to such a beast in Google searches, but so far the only place I've actually found one is in England, and they don't ship to the U.S. (not that I'd want to pay the shipping costs).
2. Are there such things as hoods and macro lenses that are made in 55mm that would work in this arrangement?
3. If the answer to 1 and 2 is yes, can you recommend a good State side dealer that would have them.
And lastly, as I'm completely out of touch with what is good and what is junk, can you suggest mfg's that make good stuff for the Canon SX40 and which ones to stay away from?

I know that's a lot to ask in one post, but any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Retreaded Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 22, 2013, 9:42 AM   #2

Hey Steve.

I think you'll be out of luck trying to use your old filters. As you've noticed, the existing adapters for it require either 58mm (for example, the Lensmate adapter) or 67mm (Canon adapters and similar).

The reason they use filters that large are to prevent vignetting at wider zoom settings. Lensmate says you can use 58mm filters with their adapter without vignetting. Of course, filter thickness comes into the equation, too (as a filter that's thicker may still cause some vignetting in some setups).

That's probably why Canon elected to go with an adapter requiring larger 67mm filters (to help prevent vignetting with a greater variety of filter types).

So, if you tried to do something like use the Lensmate adapter with a 58mm to 55mm step down ring, you'd probably get vignetting.

What kind of filters do you have? One thing to keep in mind is that modern Digital Imaging sensors are resistant to UV. So, you can actually decrease image quality using one with a digital camera (ending up with veiling flare, etc. in harsher lighting), unless it's very high quality with good coatings.

You may want to ask more about what others have found works best with that camera model in our Canon Forum to get some feedback.

What kind of Minolta camera did you have? You may want to know that if it was an Autofocus Model (Maxxum, Dynax), then any of the lenses for it will work on a Sony dSLR model (as Sony purchased the camera related assets from Konica-Minolta a while back and launched their own line of Alpha dSLR models that use the Minolta Autofocus Lens Mount system. I've got a variety of Minolta Autofocus Lenses I use with a Sony dSLR.

But, if it was a Manual Focus model, the lenses won't work on a newer Sony dSLR (as the Minolta Manual Focus cameras used a different lens mount)

BTW, Welcome to Steve's
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 1:20 PM   #3
Default 55mm Filters

Thanks for your reply. It's been long enough since the Minolta was stolen, I don't remember the model. But it was a totally manual camera. The filter I was most interested in being able to use is a variable dual cross filter. Since I typically use the dual cross filter in lower light, vignetting may not be an issue with the 58 to 55 step down. And for what I typically shoot with that filter, vignetting may actually be desirable. It was pretty expensive when I bought it, and I used it quite frequently. There was a UV filter, and one for shooting in florescent light. There were a couple of others, but they're buried where I can't easily get to them.

I now understand why the 55mm filters aren't desirable and why the more expensive 67mm lenses would be a better choice, so I'll just plan on buying new. I may buy a 58mm ring with 55mm step down just to try the dual cross filter.

I used to keep the UV filter on the Minolta mostly to help protect the lens. What would you suggest for the SX40? Sounds like using a UV filter could be detrimental to photo quality.

Retreaded Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 4:59 PM   #4

Well.. not counting the price of the camera, it would cost you around $25 to find out if your 55mm filters would give your acceptable performance with a Canon SX40 or not. ;-)

A Lensmate adapter allowing the use of 58mm filters will run you around $19.95:

A 58mm to 55mm step down ring will run you around $4.95:

Adorama is a reputable vendor, and that generic brand step down ring appears to be about as well liked as any of them at a lower price point compared to most (good feedback if you look at it's listing). Here are some more at B&H (a very reputable vendor):

The wider your zoom setting, the more likely you will see some vignetting. But, you'd have to give a setup like that a try to figure out how well it would work for you.

I'd probably lean towards using an adapter that takes 67mm filters instead, and just buy new 67mm filters to replace the 55mm models to reduce the chance of vignetting versus trying to use smaller 55mm filters via a step down ring.

As for UV filters, here's a pretty good article comparing some of them:

It's amazing just how bad some of them are (veiling flare giving you a washed out look to images in harsher lighting, etc.). For example, I'd be sure to avoid this Tiffen model:

I'm in the "don't use them" group where digital cameras and UV filters are concerned, as I don't want to put another piece of glass between a good lens and my subject and risk degrading image quality.

But, many users like having a filter on a lens for extra protection.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 11:15 PM   #5

Welcome bear, Hello from across the river in CB.
Scoobert is offline   Reply With Quote