Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Welcome Center > Welcome! Introduce yourself here

Old May 24, 2014, 8:48 PM   #1
Default 1 Foot in the Grave, 1 Finger on the Shutter Release

Spent the last couple hours looking for a camera forum that has a decent section for Panasonic and a lot of experienced users that can help me become a better photographer. I spent more time on Steve's, reading interesting posts and seeing how members of all experience levels are treated and decided to join. I'm prob'ly a little picky because I manage a couple forums (not about photography).

Although I have been interested, at various times in my life, in photography, it never developed into much more than a sometime hobby. I've taken a few pictures I like, but I never asked the opinion of anyone with a good eye or skill to critique them or help me get better (aside from a B&W class I took in college one semester in the early 80s).

Yesterday I took possession of a Panasonic Lumix FZ-200. I spent most of my wait-time for the order studying Graham Houghton videos on You Tube and reading/watching a lot of other stuff I got side-tracked to. I've only shot a couple pictures from my desk chair, as I have gone over the settings and tried to get used to handling the camera.

This replaces a refurbished Olympus E-420 that I got as a "warranty replacement" for an Olympus C-8080 that developed a problem right after the warranty ran out. Kudos to Olympus for doing that, but the E420 had other problems they wouldn't fix and, consequently, I ended up finding other things to do with my time.

I should clarify the "1 Foot in the Grave" portion of my subject title. I have late stage emphysema and am about 4 years or so past my expiration date. I think it's because of my use of a Segway as a mobility aide. But my physical exertion ability is seriously compromised. Still, I think I can improve the quality of my life through photography and I hope you all can help me do that. I'm glad I found you.

Jim McClain is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 25, 2014, 9:19 AM   #2

Hey Jim

Welcome to Steve's

We have a friendly group of members that help you appreciate photographer more. We'll look forward to seeing more posts from you.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2014, 4:41 PM   #3

G'day Jim

May I also welcome you to Steve's photo forum - you'll find us a pleasant mob of keen 'togs

We also sound a bit like you too ... a bit wacky with our likes & dislikes & background etc

Some here have yet to see the light !! and abandon their big 'n bulky dSLRs for the fabulous superzooms with their magic EVF viewfinders .... but they'll get there someday

Our household has a Lumix history too - so you're in good company here as well

Has Fuji & Lumix superzoom cameras and loves their amazing capabilities
Google me at Travelling School of Photography Australia
Recent images at http://www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote