Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Welcome Center > Welcome! Introduce yourself here

Old Jul 27, 2014, 7:37 PM   #1

Default New Member

Hello ,I 'm new on this site ,I live in Albany on the south coast of Western Australia . My big problem is that I have just got a new notebook ,it has Windows 8.1 . Previously I had XP and Microsoft Picture Manager I was very comfortable with this but the new 8.1 ??????? .
jopeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 28, 2014, 9:13 AM   #2
Administrator

My condolences (new computer with Win 8.1 on it). ;-)

I've got more than one computer with Windows 8.1 now (originally shipped with Win 8, then upgraded to Win 8.1 with Update 1 installed on them now). I just don't use Win 8.1 as often (as I have my computers set in a dual boot configuration with Linux, and use Linux image browsing/editing tools instead).

When I do use Windows 8.1, I have the Classic Shell installed (free), so that I have a more traditional style start menu again (as I like to boot directly to the desktop and avoid the new style start menu entirely, as I'm not very fond of browsing through a bunch of tiles and icons to see my installed programs and select one like the new Start Menus give you). IOW, I like to use a more traditional menu style and the free Classic Shell gives that to me.

http://www.classicshell.net/

But, many users like the new User Interface in Windows 8.x (and it's more optimized for touch screen use if your new notebook has a touch screen). It's all a matter of preference and what you're accustomed to for the tasks you perform more often.

In the case of Microsoft Picture Manager for XP, it was a free download designed mostly as an image browser that had good integration with Microsoft's Office products, but it did have some basic editing features built in, too.

It's since been replaced by Microsoft Photo Gallery. Get that product from here (it's free):

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w.../photo-gallery

Of course, there are many other free products that you can use to browse and edit photos, etc. But, if you prefer to use Microsoft's replacement for it's old Picture Manager for XP, just to go to the page I linked to, then download and install Microsoft's newer Photo Gallery Software.

BTW, Welcome to Steve's
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2014, 6:32 AM   #3

Thanks for your reply and helpful words Jim C ..........I will D/L Photo Gallery ,hope to improve my photography with I advice I get on this site .
jopeter is offline   Reply With Quote