Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 6, 2006, 8:02 PM   #1

I'm thinking of getting a new camera for my wife that wishes to get back into photography. What is the difference between the true dSLR cameras and the like models such as the Canon S3. Her main concern would be mainly image sharpness.
She would slowly move into manual modes but not absolutely required. Are the image qualities the same with dSLR-like models or are true dSLR camera a leap ahead.
Thanks in advance.
dreameral is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 6, 2006, 10:13 PM   #2

The biggest difference between DSLR and DSLR-like cameras is sensor size. All DSLR-like cameras (except Sony R1) use tiny sensors compared to DSLR.

Small sensor means noise at higher ISO settings and very large DOF. It will be difficult to get nice blurred background in portrait with DSLR-like camera, however most likely you'll get less out-of focus pictures.

With DSLR you are require more knowledge to get good picture, but when you learn how to use DSLR, no DSLR-like outperform it.

And another thing about DSLR. It is very likely that you're going to spend much more money on the lenses in the future than you pay for DSLR body now.

Edvinas is offline   Reply With Quote