Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 13, 2006, 7:56 AM   #1

I'm going around South East Asia for a few months next summer, and am considering buying a DSLR in the next couple of months so that by the time I'm out there I'll be fairly experienced. Here is what I am thinking of getting:
Canon EOS 400D (black) with 18-55m kit lens ---- £530
NB-2LH spare battery ---- £13
Sandisk CompactFlash 1GB Extreme III ---- £23.50
EH18-L EOS Hard Case ---- £35

Total ---- £601.50

I also may get a Sigma 70-300mm APO Super Macro or perhaps EF 50mm f1.8 prime for a better zoom, although I'm not too sure about this lens as I am on the rest of the kit. This should be about £100 or so, so bringing my total to about £700.
How does this sound? I'm going to be out there for 3 months, from Singapore all the way up to Japan, so I don't want loads of heavy lenses weighing me down. I'll be taking photos of everything really; landscapes, people, etc., and from reading about the Sigma 70-300/EF 50mm I thought it and the kit lens would be OK for my needs. I'm going to get cheap CF cards out in Singapore or Malaysia, to save money.
However I was speaking to my brother and he recommended getting one of those super zoom fixed lens cameras; he has a Konica Minolta Dimage Z5 and he said a DSLR would be waste of time due to the many settings, and wouldn't give me the zoom range. I looked at the Canon S3 IS and thought it seemed quite good. Now I'm not so sure! One thing that put me off the S3 IS is the noise at higher ISO settings.

So the S3 IS is cheaper, with a bigger zoom, but of course not as good quality images as the 400D. One thing I am still finding it hard to get my head around is the zoom equivalents for lenses and such. For theEF 50mm f1.8 prime, roughly what maximum magnification will that give? How far off the 12x zoom of the S3 IS? I'm sorry if I seem like I don't know anything; I understand aperture and ISO and white balance, etc., but its the focal length and zooms I am a bit sketchy about.

That was a lot of rambling, but hopefully you have understood what I'm trying to say! If I can get a decent zoom with theEF 50mm or the Sigma I might go with the 400D, as a DSLR will allow me greater flexibility, and as time goes by I can get better lenses and such.

Any help would be appreciated

EDIT - Just realised I had typed in black. Corrected now, thanks for pointing it out
Xanin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 13, 2006, 8:07 AM   #2

Whatever camera you buy I first recommend that you choose a font colour that is different from the background colour...
jacks is offline   Reply With Quote