Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 17, 2006, 6:49 PM   #1

Hi, I'm about to buy my first digital camera but my budget is low (<200$), I have been searching on amazon and newegg and the best options by far that I've found it are compared in this link:

They are the Sony DSC-S500, Sony DSC-S600 and Canon Powershot A530.

I just want the best image quality inside the most pocket sized camera to take it anywhere on trips, party nigths, camping, etc.

Both Sony are 6MP and smallest beside Canon is 5MP and a little bigger but what about picture quality and camera reliability?, what do you recommend?.

Is Sony better than Canon on digital cameras? because I have a little preference for the DSC-S500, but still not sure on what to choose. :?

Max452 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 18, 2006, 1:46 PM   #2

For best image quality and pocket size I'd go with the Fuji F20 or Sony S600. The A530 is the best choice if you want manual controls. I'd also consider the Panasonic LZ3. Some of these aren't really pocket size (esp. the last 2), but at that price I think you would have to sacrifice image quality to get much smaller.

I think Sony and Canon are pretty comparable overall in quality. They are the two top selling models, with good all around performance and quality.

Fuji is currently the leader for lower light, indoor, and action shooting as they have the best performance at higher sensitivities which allow a more rapid exposure.

And Panasonic is the leader in image stabilization technology, and the only one that will give you that at this price. They suffer from more noise at higher sensitivity settings, but in good outdoor light will give the best image quality of these.

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2006, 7:10 PM   #3

Thanks for your suggestion.

That Fuji F20 looks fine, but outdoor quality is too bad?, the thing that I don't like is propietary battery, I searched and most Fuji batteries cost 50$!.

Hmm, looks like Sony S600 its the most balanced choice from what I want and my budget.

Thanks, if anybody has more suggestions, I hear you too
Max452 is offline   Reply With Quote