Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 18, 2006, 5:11 PM   #1

Should I buy Fuji s5600 or Sony DSC H2 and I need reasons why Fuji or why Sony.

igo_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 18, 2006, 7:31 PM   #2

I have the S5200/S5600. It is better than most of the other superzooms at low light pictures. I like the fact that it uses AA batteries. In contrast to many others, I don't mind its using xD cards instead of more commonly used and cheaper SD or CF cards.

TheH2 has image stabilization unlike the S5200. It also has slightly more zoom (12X vs.10X optical). I believe it may be slightly better at taking pictures in daylight. Like the S5200, it uses AA batteries. Its best images are 6 megapixel vs. the Fuji's 5 megapixel images. Unlike the Fuji, it has no RAW mode.

If Iwanted to take lowlight pictures, I would get the Fuji. Otherwise, I think theSony may be slightly superior. The Fuji is slightly cheaper in the US.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2006, 5:30 AM   #3

Out of the 2 cameras you are looking at, the obvious answer is the Sony H2, just check out the sony talk forum ondpreview site and I think it will be a no brainer.
Wirraway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2006, 3:02 AM   #4

I think they're close. The S5200 (S5600) is about a stop better at high ISO performance. The H2 starts to get ugly at about ISO 400 where with the Fuji that's ISO 800.

But the H2 makes up for that by having IS, and a 20% larger max image size. You might even do better than the Fuji in low light without flash due to the IS. And it has a stronger flash as well.

But the higher ISO performance on the Fuji would make it slightly better in action/wildlife shooting, and the RAW file capabilities are a major advantage if you are going to do post processing.

The H2 is a newer model, and has a few more features, but the S5200 is still a bit more responsive, especially in high speed mode. Both cameras have a very nice lens.

I might be tempted by the Fuji, because I tend to use ISO 400 and even 800 for reasons other than camera shake, and because I would make use of the RAW mode. But I think the H2 is probably the better overall camera for most, with 6MP and the IS.

On the other hand, the S5200 is currently around $80 less at sites like butterfly photo and Abes of Maine. So if price is a factor, that might be worth considering. It also might be worth trying both out and deciding what feels most comfortable, as that can be an individual preference.

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2006, 2:45 PM   #5

I'm in a similar spot and might decide to wait for the new Fuji models, S6500fd and S9100, and see how they compare.

I need the low light ability for theatre, where flash isn't allowed.

Pegleg is offline   Reply With Quote