Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 20, 2006, 3:53 PM   #1

I would like to get a digital camera with the intent on using it both as a regular point-and-shoot, but to also be able to do some low-light photography & action photography.

I plan to enlarge prints, like the one below, to 5x7. The one below was Nikon FE, 70-210mm lens, 800 ISO film. I would also like to enlarge some to poster size, 8x10 and so on.

How do you gauge megapixels for enlargements at particular ISO settings?

For instance - at ISO 1600 on a digital, what MP should I be able to expect to have an enlargement made that'd be reasonably good?

I am trying to figure out if I need to get a camera with ISO 3200 capability. I intend to get one with the Image Stablization on it as well.
Attached Images
schatham is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 20, 2006, 9:05 PM   #2

The high iso performance is more of a factor than MP. Most current P&S cameras are at least 5 mp and should be able to produce quality 8X10 prints at the lowest ISO's. P&S cameras tend to struggle with higher iso's, producing very noisy images the won't print well at any size. Although I mostly shoot with my DSLR's, I doown a 7mp sony DSC-V3. It does a great job at the lowest ISO, but is awful above 200. Fuji cameras have made some remarkable progress in this area and are a good starting point if high ISO performance is a must for your style of shooting.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote