Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 24, 2006, 9:24 PM   #1

I have a newborn and my Canon G6 is a great camera but too large and doesn't take the best portraits with a moving baby.

What should I be looking for in a small point ant shoot for under $500.00 that will take great portrait / baby action, small enough for a pocket and quick enough for that special moment. No red eye is important as well.
vintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 25, 2006, 5:30 AM   #2

It is just my opinion, but I think that you must be really talented photographer to take great portraits of your baby with P&S.

In portraits shallow DOF (depth of field) is very important, P&S cameras with their tiny sensors don't provide shallow DOF.

Most of those great portraits are made with SLR cameras with prime lenses with focal lengths ~80-100mm (in terms of 35mm film).
Edvinas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2006, 10:27 AM   #3

Just for what it is worth, sometimes you just need a reasonably priced that iseasy to carry, easy to use, and a handy size. Digital camera such as the Kodak C-875 (which has worked really well for me) or the Canon A-620 fill that bil and take very nice portraits.

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2006, 2:34 PM   #4

His G6 is has a very large sensor for a p&s, and it's made to be professional quality in a p&s. One professional review of the G2 (what I have) said that he printed 8X10s from the G2 and his SLR. His wife couldn't tell which one was the p&s.

You might want to think about some of the Fuji line of cameras. You will probably be shooting indoors and not always wanting to blind your kid with the flash. I like Canon's for all around, but if it's mostly indoor and not using the flash I would go with the Fuji (think about the F30).
KALEL33 is offline   Reply With Quote