Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 6, 2006, 8:49 AM   #1

hi all....

I own now a canon 410, a nice camera, but I sense a small lack of the picture quality, and the Upgrade is tempting.

Oh so many cameras, just in the powershot line alone and many of these are now discontinued.

But I have an iching small quandry!

Best buy has a powershot a530 on sale for about $150, as far as I can tell, the quality is just a *bit* better than my a410, and I live only blocks away from best Buy and thus if I buy the $40 protection plan, be simple to return the camera if it breaks or has the "e18".

Then there is a camera that seems a LOT better than my a410, the a610!
Seemingly a Legendary camera, and canon does not make this model anymore.
However, through Amazon I can buy it new for $240 or refurbished for about $180. But is something breaks the "store" is 600 miles away!!
No protection plan. Only the one year warrenty on the new canon.
But I have read that a good refurbished camera might actually be more reliable than a new one!

What should I Do?!
the best buy sale is only good through saturday, I need to know Now!

I take mostly outdoor scenes with a fair amount of indoor natual light

photos, and I upload these to my flickr account.

I would go for the a530 except that I read such glowing reviews for the a610!

input please.

freestonew is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 6, 2006, 9:16 AM   #2

I have the A610 and love it, get one while you can. I paid $217 for mine back in the spring so $240 really isn't all that bad considering they're so difficult to find now. You might also want to check on ebay.

JeanneB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2006, 1:25 PM   #3

They're that much now? We sold the A620's on clearance when the were discontinued for $180. As for whether you should buy it....you have to decide whats more important. Swivel or not, small size or not. I would choose the new A640. Your A410 isn't that old. Buy the best camera that you would be happy with for a long time and you end up saving money. My favorite camera of mine is 4 years old and I still use it. Preference is the difference between those two camera...not so much what we say.
KALEL33 is offline   Reply With Quote