Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 7, 2006, 7:37 PM   #1

Has anyone found a low light digicam?

no flash
hand held
manual focus OK.:O
Steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 8, 2006, 2:29 PM   #2

It depends on how low the light in the bar is. My preferred solution for some of the bars around my area with very low light is a Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D (DSLR with anti-shake) wearing a brighter prime (Minolta 28mm f/2, 50mm f/1.7, 100mm f/2, etc.) using ISO 1600 or 3200. ;-)

To be frank, the light is so low in some of the clubs around here, that I've been thinking about replacing my Minolta 28mm f/2 with a Sigma 30mm f/1.4.

If you take photos in low lit areas a lot, you may want to consider that Sigma 30mm f/1.4 for your D70, too (judging from your previous posts, you're using a Nikon D70 right now). This Sigma seems to get pretty good user reviews, at a lower price point compared to similar primes from the major camera manufacturers.

But, most bars are probably a bit better lit that the ones with a few candles scattered around the tables in my area. :-)

So, you can probably get by with ISO 1600 and f/2.8 in some bars with better lighting, and that's available in some non-DSLR models now.

In a point and shoot, about the best you'll be able to do is using some of the Fuji Models (and they have made a lot of progress in reducing noise with some of their sensors compared to most other manufacturers).

Take a look at the Fuji Finepix F30

The Fuji F10 and F20 would also be good candidates, as would the newer F31F (not shipping yet).

These Fuji models have much higher usable ISO speeds compared to most other non-DSLR models.

Keep in mind that their lens isn't very bright if you zoom in much (down to f/5 on the long end of the zoom). So, depending on the lighting, you may need to stay on the wide angle end of the zoom (where you've got f/2.8 available) for best results.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2006, 2:43 PM   #3

Low light digital cameras =

Cameras with good ISO 1600 - ISO 3200.

Cameras with big and bright viewfinders for manual focusing if A.F. fails.

Cameras with effective A.F.

Cameras with manual focusing. (In case if A.F. fails)

Cameras with hot shoe. (For more flash power if using flash)

Cameras with build in flash. (Sometimes needed)

Cameras with hardware based image stabilization systems. (Or I.S. lenses)

Best if cameras with optical TTL (optical through the lens) viewfinders. (Pentaprism variety)

Bright lenses withbig apertures. (Perhaps with U.S.M. [ultra sonic wave motor])

My two cents.

The Fujifilm FinePix S6500fdwould be a great alternative to the F30.

A dSLRlike thePentax *istDSwould be a great camera in low light situations; with it's big and bright pentaprism TTL viewfinder, and great ISOquality range of ISO 200 - ISO 3200. The big & bright pentaprism viewfinder of the DS would also be very effectivefor manual focusingunder dim lightings.

BenjaminXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2006, 8:03 PM   #4

Yes, Fuji F11, however the newer F30 is even better.

Excellent battery life, fantastic shots in low light.
Inactive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2006, 12:13 PM   #5

yeah check out fuji F30
im sorta surprised too

Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote