Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 12, 2006, 10:21 AM   #1

Hi, I am a new mom who is researching digital cameras. I have a Nikon Coolpix 4200 now, but by the time the camera focuses on my daugher, she is done being cute. I am willing to spend between 300.00 and 400.00 on a new camera, but I am not sure what to buy. I just want something that snaps pictures fast so I don't miss anymore cute faces!!! PLEASE HELP!!!
Jen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 13, 2006, 9:35 AM   #2

Unfortunately I can't help you much with which model will do what you want... I haven't been looking at the new cameras much.

But what you are refering to is called "shutter lag". It refers to how long the lag time is between pressing the shutter and actually having taken a picture. And you're not the only person who hates how slow many/most cameras are. So some manufacturer has got to have broken down, spent the money (it's only money; they *could* build a camera without this problem, but it would cost more) and build one.

So when you ask in a store, at least you'll have the right term.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2006, 11:38 AM   #3

You will likely appreciate one of the newer cameras with "face-detection" focusing. These have software which detects faces, and will then keep the camera focused on the subject even with movement.

The only 2 I know of out right now with this are the Canon SD800IS and the Fuji S6000fd. I know Fuji has also announced the F31fd to replace the F30, but it's not available yet.

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2006, 5:10 PM   #4

I have a baby, I just got the Kodak c875, and it is great! It has a option to put on baby and really great little camera sharp pictures

If you want a bigger camera then a recommend you the Sony H2, I have it and I love it, I do great pictures of my kids,but both cameras I have i really like I use for different things

Marimar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2006, 12:42 AM   #5

its a judgement call .. to be precise .. it matter on ur taste ...

if ur budget is 300-400$ ... u'll have to buy a cam that is for less than 350$ .. cuz u'll need the remaining cash for a good memory card and Nimh batteries ... or carry case.

if ur not concerned about zoom ... u can just go ahead and buy a cam from the canon A series ... like the A630 or A620 ... those cams are fast .. and have nice battery life ... and u'll get them cheap ... so u can save for a big memory card and batteries ....

I dont know much about the nikons .... i personally have the nikon 3200 ... it works really nice.... but don know abt the latest models.

i have used the Canon S2 Is ... which is a gR8 cam .. so u can also look for tha S3 ... or even the Panny Fz7 ...

The above we my choices ... so if anyone else has better experiences with other brands .... please correct me ....

The bottomline ... ur just gonna get confused if u just ask a plain question ... WHich cam should i buy? .... cuz theres lots of people here who have used lots of cams from lots of brands ... and have had good results .. so u'll end up no where ...

So 1st of all .. deside ur purpose ... check out some reviews ... and buy wut feel good in ur hands ...

U can always upgrade in 2-3 years ... like u are now upgrading from ur old digicam.
This wont be ur last cam right ?

good luck
sr2002 is offline   Reply With Quote