Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 23, 2006, 5:31 AM   #1

Hope someone can get me out of trouble and advice me what shoud I take as my first digital camera.
Have some experience with Minolta 404 Si Dynax (35-80, 1:4 - 5.6 and 28-200 1:3.8 - 5.6), but still no expirience with digital.
Those two cameras (E-500 and EOS 400) are with good price and Olympus comes with Zuiko Digital 14-45 and 40-150 mm inkl 1GB SanDisk CF Ultra II for EUR 710,-. Canon is normal kit EF-S18-55 for EUR 750,-.
Now, would like to know pro and con for both of them (already red the rewievs) from firsthand user, or maybe if someone have some better idea what can I get for this ammount of money.

Thank you in advance,

coIIector is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 27, 2006, 8:19 PM   #2

You should also look at the Sony A100. It will be compatible with your older Minolta lenses. It's also one of the better values for an entry level DSLR, including in body stabilization and an automatic sensor cleaning system to remove dust.

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2006, 8:14 AM   #3

Agreed with the above poster. If you have lenses for the system, take a look at the Sony alpha too.

As for your question, I think the Olympus with those lenses is the better deal of the 2 at this time (The canon kit lens isn't all that...so I've heard), but keep in mind that it will be easier and cheaper to find lenses for Canon on the 2nd hand market.
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote