Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 25, 2006, 9:19 AM   #1

Hi all,

I need to get a sub £200 camera for my girlfriend.

7Mpx or more | 3x Optical | Anti-shake technology | AA batteries prefered | and it has to look pretty :roll:

Typical usage:

Pictures of Niece/Nephew | Pictures of friends partying in nightclubs

Thanks in Advance!

p.s so far I'm thinking of getting the CASIO Exilim Zoom EX-Z700

nikk1e is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 28, 2006, 4:44 PM   #2

The Casio ultracompacts are popular for being very slim, convenient, stylish, user friendly and quick. They may be the most popular brand for a really slim ultracompact, but they do suffer some in image quality, especially indoors (flash required).

For the types of pictures you are lalking about, I think you would get best results from the Fuji F20:

It's not quite as compact or as stylish as the Casio, but will give better image quality than anything else in that price range, particularly for those indoor & social type shots.

I'd also look at the Panasonic Lumix Fx01, available online for about $220 shipped (US):

That's probably as good as you will do for a camera with true IS at that price. It's very good outdoors. Photos get a bit grainy at higher ISOs, but with the IS, you will still do pretty well indoors (I think better than the Casio anyway). I'm not sure, but it may also be available in some cute colors like the Casio (I know some Lumix models are).

None of the above has AA batteries. No camera that small will. AA batteries are really too big and not enough power for these cameras. The Lithium-ion rechargeables are really more suitable for a pocket sized camera. For a bigger camera, too large for a pants pocket, you can find AA batteries used, and often a few more features for the same price as well. An example would be the Canon A630:

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2006, 4:09 PM   #3

You would have more options if you dropped the Megapixels. Are you planning on taking pics larger than 16x20? A 4MP will do just as good with 8x10s and below unless you are cropping alot. A high MP count on a cheap and small sensor will give you subpar pics compared to lower MP cameras.
KALEL33 is offline   Reply With Quote