Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 26, 2006, 7:52 PM   #1

I have a Kodak 6490, which I thought was fairly good until I saw some pictures taken by a friend with a Canon SD630. The pictures were takenindoors with bright incandescent light. The colors from the Kodak were washed out, and the Canon was far better.

I want something with 8x or longer zoom and flash sync. I have an old Vivitar with bounce kits and it's far better than the on-camera flashes. I don't need extremely high pixel count- 4-6 megs is fine. I'd like to stay under about $500. Ability to shoot in moderate light would be nice.

Anyone have any suggestions?

rugman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 31, 2006, 3:12 PM   #2

Look atcamera(s) such as theCanon PowerShot S3 IS, Fujifilm Finepix S9100, Fujifilm FinePix S6500fd, Leica V-LUX 1, Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50, Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ30, Samsung Pro815, Sony DSC-H2, & the Sony DSC-H5.

BenjaminXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2006, 9:12 AM   #3

Dude .. if ur budget is 500$ ... i would say .... wait .. .and save some money .... and get a Dslr with Sigma 28-300mm lens ... the combo will be unmatched ...

but considering ur budget ... the best option will be the S6000fd ... the Fuji's have realll nice Iso performance ... and the lens is also good ... also the sensor is much bigger than the rest of the competition ...

Or maybe a pentax Dslr ... which also has Image stabaliser.

I would not suggest any other long zooms like Canon S3 or Panny Fz series ... or kodak .. over the Fuji ... ...

Ofcourse this is based on my research till now ... cuz i was also personally gonna buy the Fz7 or the S3 .. but then later i saw the S6000fd ... but then i said .. hey if i add just 200$ more i can get a Dslr ... so i finally bought the Canon 350D with a kit lens ....

The thing is that a Dslr is for ever .. all u have to do is add better lenses .. and with 6 or 8mp of resolution .. u can use it for almost any regular enlargements ... so u can use it for a real long time ... And the power is unmatched compared to consumer cams ...
The basic difference is the sensor .... the consumer digicams with 5-6mp of resolution have a rectangular sensor with a diagonal length of 7-8mm ... and the Dslrs have a minimum sensor size of 22.5x15.5mm .... imagine the difference ....

Any ways ... hope this helps .... No hard feelings with other digicam users ... becuz i myself use a compact .. nikon 3200 which i still love for its portability and quality ...

sr2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2006, 7:41 PM   #4

rugman wrote:
....I have an old Vivitar with bounce kits and it's far betterĀ* than the on-camera flashes....
If you plan to use that old Vivitar with a new digital camera, it might be worth your time to find out if the flash unit's trigger voltage is compatible.

This page is a good place to begin your research:

Robb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2006, 8:45 PM   #5

Thanks for the good advice. I already did the testing with my vivitar flash, because I needed to use it with my current Kodak digital camera.

I've pretty much made up my mind to get a Sony DSC-R1. I can either get a gray market or a good used one within my budget, and it takes great photos. I give up some telephoto, but I'll keep my current Kodak for when I need that.

Thanks again.

rugman is offline   Reply With Quote