Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 30, 2006, 2:17 AM   #1

We need to purchase a new compact digital camera , favoured makes inc. Canon , Nikon and Fuji at apush we may go down the camera package offered by Kodak or simlar.

The new camera under $350.00 must be : Easy to operate ie auto takes 90% of shots, have good battery life and simple to connect to our PC - not I/Red or WiFi,

the key part is to capture good quality video inc sound is 30fps achievable?

Technology has moved on since auto focus I still use my Canon Ae1 FD lenses for motor sport

Your suggestions are invited

olduser1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 30, 2006, 4:04 PM   #2

The A540 also features a high-quality movie mode with audio. There are several modes to choose from (Standard, Compact (160x120), Fast Frame rate, Color Accent and Color swap), as well as resolutions of 640x480 or 320x240. The frame rate when using standard mode is selectable between 30 and 15fps. I was pleased with our movie samples. The A540's ability to use higher than normal ISO speeds, allows you to capture better quality movies in marginal lighting conditions; although compression artifacts are a bit more noticeable. You can see by taking a look at our Low-Ambient light example on the samples page.
Battery life was surprising when you consider that these models use only two AA-type cells. Canon claims that AA alkaline batteries will allow you to capture approx. 90 shots (LCD on), 240 shots (LCD off), and 180 minutes of continuous playback time. We here at Steve's highly recommend the use of NiMH cells, and according to Canon, they will allow you to shoot approx. 360 shots (LCD on), 800 shots (LCD off), and 300 minutes of continuous playback time (the mAh rating of these cells was not specified.) Using a single set of 2500 mAh cells, I was able to capture over 120 shots and several movie clips as well as conduct the rest of our other tests, and the batteries still have some juice left.
This is directly from Steve's review, and I think it fits your needs.

KALEL33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2006, 1:37 PM   #3

So many such digital cameras have great quality videos now a days. I will name a few below;

This list contains digital cameras with one of the best video qualities among all >>>

Canon PowerShot S3 IS

Canon PowerShot A630

Canon PowerShot A640

Canon PowerShot A710 IS

Canon PowerShot A700

Canon PowerShot A620

Canon PowerShot A610

They are all very great digital still cameras too. (One of the best in fact)

BenjaminXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2006, 12:21 PM   #4

I could not ask anything more out of my Casio EX-Z750 for recording video except for an image/video stabilizer. I can do w/o the optical zoom while recording sicne the clubs I go to are really not that massive. The digital zoom is ok but I try to avoid it. You can record a good 60 minutes on a single battery and 2GB SD card (4GB don't work) in high quality 640x480 MPEG-4 with Mono PCM 44KHz audio. I have samples from club nights at http://www.myspace.com/rizo83 --- check out http://www.nextlevel.ws/rizo/061031/target29.html
rizo83 is offline   Reply With Quote