Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 1, 2006, 8:56 PM   #1

I use a Coolpix 990 for photographing my patients' teeth. It has been a great but it's getting old.

Can anyone suggest a camera that is:
  • Not SLR [/*]
  • Has Manual (or at least Aperture Priority) [/*]
  • Able to autofocus at 30cm or closer (that's the tough one!) [/*]
  • Simple, with a rotatable 2" or better LCD screen.[/*]
I know - I'm asking too much - but the Coolpix fits these specs (except for a smaller screen).

ortho85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 3, 2006, 12:42 PM   #2

As the old saying goes.... "if it ain't broke, don't try to fix it". ;-)

The Swivel Bodied Nikon models are very good for macros.

For one thing, the macro "sweet spot" is at around half zoom where you have the least amount of distortion (not to mention that it can make it easier for lighting versus a model that only takes macros with it's lens set to the full wide angle zoom setting). The Nikon models like you have even let you know when they're at the sweet spot (macro icon changes color when your zoom setting is optimum).

You've also got aperture priority to help out with depth of field. In addition, their swivel bodies make it easier to compose.

Steve took most of the closeups of camera bodies you see in the camera reviews here using Nikon Coolpix models (950, 990, 4500), and is now using a Coolpix 5700 and 8700.

Many competing models have the ability to get close. But, many have to be used at one extreme or the other of their zoom range (increasing distortion), and lighting can become a problem if you need to get too close to the object your trying to capture.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2006, 6:02 PM   #3

I am also interested in looking for a camera with similar features as Nikon Coolpix 990 and 995, especially the high quality of the macro and the portability

Txemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2006, 9:10 PM   #4

I believe the Canon A630 and 640 have the manual controls, a tilt screen, and a good macro mode:

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2006, 12:49 AM   #5

Thanks for these suggestions. As far as I can see the Coolpix with swivel bodies no longer have manual or aperture priority modes, and the SLR-like models have a small LCD screen (I have a 5400 that I don't like).

I will look at the Canon models in the stores - their larger rotatable LCDs sound possible.

Warning - possible dumb question approaching - if I have something like the Canon A640 set to manual focus with the built in flash firing, what's the closest setting available? I know you can go really close in macro mode with most cameras, but then the flash either is off or illuminates poorly.

ortho85 is offline   Reply With Quote